Harvard

dreaming 1

Anybody heard anything yet about the GSAS dorm housing yet? It says on the website that we should have gotten our assignments by the end of May and I still haven't heard anything. I called them last week and they said I'd get an email by Friday but that never happened.

One of the people in charge of this took maternity leave, or so I heard. The office is a bit understaffed, so give it some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any advice on grad dorms at Harvard? I have a room secured at Cronkhite but was also just offered a room at Perkins. Wondering if anyone has any views on the differences between them?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any advice on grad dorms at Harvard? I have a room secured at Cronkhite but was also just offered a room at Perkins. Wondering if anyone has any views on the differences between them?

Thanks!

I lived in Perkins last year and it was awesome. It's a block away from the student-run bar and a short walk to the Law school gym.. with two bathrooms and kitchens on every floor what more do you need?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is nice to see a Harvard thread here! i am also living in the graduate dorms but the grad dorms are not as social and fun as I had expected it to be. My floor sucks even more. It is so quiet and I am starting to get very lonely in grad school. How has living in the dorms been for you guys? How are you guys socializing at Harvard? I meet some people at dudley house/dudley events sometimes but I really haven't been able to form a stable, nice group to hang out with. I went to a small school for undergrad where everyone knew each other, and people were very friendly so I had no problem making friends. You just saw the same people and you did not have to formally ask them to hang out, things just happened spontaneously. Things are so much formal here. I have to constantly ask people to come and hang out and I just feel like I am being needy and I wait for them make a plan but that doesn't happen. I tried hanging out with my classmates but their interest and mine are so different that I have not really been able to connect well with them. Moreover, we talk a lot about our discipline and sometimes there is a sense of competition. I really want to make good friends outside my department. Do you guys have any tips for socializing at Harvard? How do people in a big schools like Harvard make good friends?

• 5 months later...
Guest Apoorv

Hey everyone! Just accepted the admission offer to Harvard. Coming to Boston this fall! Planning to stay in dorms for the first year..I am from India so would prefer having less issues to look after and thereby the dorm ;) Haven't yet filled my application for the dorms..but from whats mentioned above I presume Perkins is the best? Can i chose which dorm i want in the application?