Art Center or CalArts?

pointedears

Ok, it's down to Art Center and CalArts now. CalArts is my dream school and I have always wanted to be there. However, they selected me into the 3 year MFA in Graphic Design program while I got into the 2yr track at Art Center.

From what I understand, CalArts is more form driven while the program at Art Center is more 'futuristic'. I have no aid from either of the two schools. So, this is the situation -

CalArts - $150k in debt, LOVE the school and the program

Art Center - $100k in debt, like it but not as much as CalArts

The point is, I have to think about paying back these loans too. Does anyone have information on any of these schools which might help me in taking this decision? Thanks a lot!

Pointedears, is there any way you can negotiate funding or any mention of funding for your second or third year? From what I recall of Cal Arts, they're not too big on letting grad students teach, but maybe you can get work study aid in another way? So far, everywhere except for NYU has offered funding of some sort.

I guess that I am just very hesitant to say to anyone "Go ahead and incur over 100k in loans."

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. In the worse case scenario, you could try and cover one year and apply for outside funding like the Jacob Javits Fund for your second year. That's my overall plan to help minimize my costs for Grad school.

That sounds like a hard choice. I too have some difficulty giving advice on going into debt. Part of me says you should go for the program that you think is the best fit for you (which sounds like CalArts), but being in big debt is a scary prospect. What do you think? Do you think that after the three year program you will be able to land a position where paying back the debt will not be a problem? Does CalArts have the better rep in your field that would help you land a job with more money? Money isn't everything but connections are...I think if you think CalArts is the right fit and has better prospects for both while you are there and after you leave then it might be worth the extra money. Just my thoughts take them for what they are worth.

Good luck with your decision.