Books, books, books...

I saw this thread under "Sociology" and I thought it would be nice for us prospectife Comm majors as well:

Which books do you recommend for incoming grad students in the fields of Communications/Journalism/MassComm/... ? They don't have to be directly relevant to this field of study, but can also be general suggestions for grad students (although we do have a thread about this in the "Lobby" I think).

For me, since I'm an international student, this is very interesting. I'm not that familiar with the standard literature in the US. So I'm looking forward to lots of great suggestions :-)

Here are a few that are good for historicizing Comm as a discipline:

Mass Communication and American Social Thought

Canonic Texts in Media Research

Communication and Culture (James Carey)

I saw this thread under "Sociology" and I thought it would be nice for us prospectife Comm majors as well:

Which books do you recommend for incoming grad students in the fields of Communications/Journalism/MassComm/... ? They don't have to be directly relevant to this field of study, but can also be general suggestions for grad students (although we do have a thread about this in the "Lobby" I think).

For me, since I'm an international student, this is very interesting. I'm not that familiar with the standard literature in the US. So I'm looking forward to lots of great suggestions :-)