Annenberg USC Vs. Penn

While we are waiting for the final results, I am just curious about how you guys think about the two Annenberg Schools? Say in terms of quality, faculty, job placement and opportunities. Also, what do you think is more important--ranking/quality of a program or a renowned adviser?

While we are waiting for the final results, I am just curious about how you guys think about the two Annenberg Schools? Say in terms of quality, faculty, job placement and opportunities. Also, what do you think is more important--ranking/quality of a program or a renowned adviser?

In comparing Annenberg East and Annenberg West, I've tended to view them as almost equally competitive (with different strengths). I know that Annenberg East has tended to receive better rankings, but Annenberg West now has on Henry Jenkins (and some amazing projects that are in their infancy there).

In comparing rankings versus how well-known an adviser is, I'd lean towards how well-known an adviser is as being more important (if the rankings are close, such as anything in the top 10 or 20 programs).

In comparing Annenberg East and Annenberg West, I've tended to view them as almost equally competitive (with different strengths). I know that Annenberg East has tended to receive better rankings, but Annenberg West now has on Henry Jenkins (and some amazing projects that are in their infancy there).

In comparing rankings versus how well-known an adviser is, I'd lean towards how well-known an adviser is as being more important (if the rankings are close, such as anything in the top 10 or 20 programs).

Say Penn Annenberg Vs. a 30 plus university (US news national university ranking) but with a top critical cultural program. The latter has a well-known professor that I really like to work with.

I wouldn't worry about the US News National University ranking--the ranking of the individual department or program is much more important. So if it were a top critical cultural program and the person you want to work with there is very well-known, I would imagine that would put you in really good shape as compared to the possible outcomes Annenberg East offers. I'm not certain though. Are you hoping to become a professor one day? The market is brutal at the moment....and there may be some schools that would prefer to hire someone from Penn over someone from any other place. In my area of research (which has a very small number of people in comparison to other areas), WHO you have worked with is much, much more important than the ranking of a program. I'm sure that varies by research area though.