University of Minnesota

Ennue

Hi everybody,

There's an active Minneapolis thread in the City Guide section, but I thought it might be interesting to get all the newly admitted students together! I know there are several :) I don't know anybody in Minneapolis yet, so it would be nice to get to know you!

I'm from the Netherlands and I'm in the Psychology department. I've never been to Minneapolis or even the United States, so at the moment I feel kind of crazy for doing this... But I'm sure I'll meet fantastic people over there!

Congratulations on the acceptance, and on the decision to attend the UofM!! Am headed to Minneapolis as well, for/starting Fall 2011 semester; am in plant breeding and molecular genetics. Which campus will you be attending - St Paul or Minneapolis? Mine is St Paul. I am also not from the US, but I have been living here for almost 5 years now - did both BS and MS (ongoing) here.

Have you started looking for housing? I remember you mentioning in another thread that you wouldn't mind biking to campus. But getting double-digit inches of snow in Minneapolis isn't too uncommon. So getting a place close to bus routes, or even better, close to campus might be better. Right now, the number of near-campus housing ads is quite low. But near mid-March/early-April, people who are graduating or wanting to get out of their current contracts should start listing their ads, and that might be the right time to get one. When I interviewed with my dept, the current grad students suggested that renting an apt or a house with few grad students would be a lot cheaper as well as would provide a lot of space compared to 'commercial' rooms and apt complexes. If we can make a group here at gradcafe, perhaps this is something we can shoot for. And a great way of making friends from different programs!

Oh, btw, I visited Amsterdam almost 2 years ago. Nice city you have there! :)

Thank you, congratulations to you too! I'll be attending the Minneapolis campus. Where are you from originally?

I haven't started looking for housing yet, I was adviced to wait until mid-March (as you say as well). I do want to find something that has the option of walking/public transport for when the snow gets too much! I am aiming for renting something (appartment or house) together with some other people, I wonder if more people on the forum would be interested in seeing if that would work? Making friends from different programs sounds good!

I'm glad you enjoyed Amsterdam :)

A weather report claims that there are 18 inches of snow on the ground in Minneapolis. Anyone else reconsidering their decision to attend Minnesota instead of Arizona? (just kidding... sort of.)

I'll be on the Minneapolis campus, east bank. I'm getting nervous about finding housing, so I appreciate bhikhaari's suggestion to wait another few months. I think that I'm more than ready to move on from my current situation and that's contributing to my obsession with craigslist apartment. I'd be willing to consider renting a place with a larger group, but my spouse will be in Minneapolis about 25% of the time, so I don't quite know how that would work with roommates. I have the option to move in July or August and I'm not sure how to decide.

Ennue, we're going to have a fantastic experience, except for all of that snow. :) I've never had the chance to visit the Netherlands, although I want to. It looks beautiful and friends who have lived there/visited report very positive experiences.

I'll be on the Minneapolis campus, east bank. I'm getting nervous about finding housing, so I appreciate bhikhaari's suggestion to wait another few months. I think that I'm more than ready to move on from my current situation and that's contributing to my obsession with craigslist apartment.

at least for folks like you (minneapolis campus), the number of ads now (and later as well) is quite large... so you shouldn't have much difficulty in finding a place. but there aren't that many posts in st paul area, which freaks me out. another plan i have is to contact the department, ask for email ids of other newcomers and see if all of us (new students) want to rent a house together, as we all will be looking for a place very soon. i am quite sure same thing can be worked out in your case as well.

Edited by bhikhaari

For what it's worth, I found that people don't deal with housing until much later in this area. Back in Ann Arbor, people start figuring out housing for the next year in January. Here, people don't really seem to start until May.

For what it's worth, I found that people don't deal with housing until much later in this area. Back in Ann Arbor, people start figuring out housing for the next year in January. Here, people don't really seem to start until May.

good to know!

A weather report claims that there are 18 inches of snow on the ground in Minneapolis. Anyone else reconsidering their decision to attend Minnesota instead of Arizona? (just kidding... sort of.)

I'll be on the Minneapolis campus, east bank. I'm getting nervous about finding housing, so I appreciate bhikhaari's suggestion to wait another few months. I think that I'm more than ready to move on from my current situation and that's contributing to my obsession with craigslist apartment. I'd be willing to consider renting a place with a larger group, but my spouse will be in Minneapolis about 25% of the time, so I don't quite know how that would work with roommates. I have the option to move in July or August and I'm not sure how to decide.

Ennue, we're going to have a fantastic experience, except for all of that snow. :) I've never had the chance to visit the Netherlands, although I want to. It looks beautiful and friends who have lived there/visited report very positive experiences.

neuropsychosocial, the snow and cold is a bit much, isn't it? But I'm sure we'll get used to it! :)

It's good to know that we're not late with looking for housing. I'd still like to find something soon rather than in May, because I like to be sure that everything is arranged, but that should also work out. I'm on the Minneapolis east bank campus too. Neuropsychosocial, I guess with your spouse it depends on how much room you want to have when s/he is there (i.e. more than a bedroom and a shared living room). In my current student house, where everyone has their own room but bathrooms and the kitchen are shared (and there is no living room) some spouses are here very often and that's no problem. Unless, of course, they're in the shower just when I need to go in! ;)

I will definitely move in August, for several reasons (my visa probably won't allow me to move much earlier, I will take my last chance for a holiday with parents and friends in July). But if you really want to move out of your current situation I guess I'd move sooner than later!

It's good to know that the Netherlands have a positive reputation! :)

Bhikhaari, your plan of emailing the department and sending an email to all future (and current!) graduate students is exactly what I plan to do. I'm sure you'll find something near the St Paul campus, or at least with a good bus connection :) I've never been to Nepal, by the way, but I know it's gorgeous!

If you go to the university's housing page, they also have their own off-campus rental listings. My current landlord said he pretty much exclusively advertises there to avoid getting undergrads as tenants.

Nice to meet your guys here! I've seen some of you in another thread. I've just admitted by the History Department of M of U. It's so good to know that you are all from different departments! Hope to see you this fall!

I'm an international student from China. It seems that there are a bunch of Chinese in Minnesota. But I still love to make friend with students from all kinds of culture background.

I don't know if it is proper to ask about your fundings. But I am awarded a TA (15000 for the first year,and 14000 for the following years) which is not so satisfactory because even the national scholarship council of China provide 1300 per month! It is said the scholarship from the Chinese Scholarship Council can just cover the basic living expense. So, I strongly doubt if 15000 or 14000 per year is enough for paying the rent and all my living expenses. What do you think of that? Is there any possibility to argue for more stipend?

Anyway, U of M is my dream school. I probably go to there this fall.

I haven't started to find an apartment yet. I can only arrived in US by August because of the visa policy. It is too late to find a room by than. But I can't make decision if I haven't seen the room in person. What should I do?

So, I strongly doubt if 15000 or 14000 per year is enough for paying the rent and all my living expenses. What do you think of that? Is there any possibility to argue for more stipend?

congrats, and welcome, Tuochi!

14000 per year is more than enough to cover your living expenses. although the U is situated right next to a metropolis, it is however very affordable to live in the vicinity of campus.. unlike places such as NY, LA, etc. so far, i've seen than single rooms in an apartment cost 300-450$ and studio/basement/one-person apartment cost 450-700$. so yes, with the amount of money you will be given, you should have no problem in living terms of living expenses.

and although you cannot come here till august, you can start looking for apts early. i assume there's a chinese association in minneapolis. so, see if chinese people on campus are willing to help you on that. if not, you can email the international services and see if they can match you with a mentor/peer who can be your guide in minneapolis for few weeks, as you are new. or, you can simply email the housing ads and explain them the situation. that might work out as well. as a last resort, you can always apply to housing for grad students managed by the school. but i know that spots in these type of housing are very limited, so you might want to act early.

Hey all, who are planning to attend UMN, I've been suggested by my department to get a co-op housing at the CTC (http://www.umnctc.org/ run by the U itself). Apparently, this co-op is only for grad students, and is located near the St Paul campus with bus connections that take you to the Minneapolis campus every 5 minutes. I checked the rental price and single living is going to be little costly, and is difficult to get (that's what I've been told). But getting a 2 bedroom apt would be cheaper (rent less than 400$/person, all utilities included) and easier too. Plus, it's a common living place for family + single students in various grad programs and from all over the world: great for first hand cultural experience - a definite plus in my opinion.

So I was wondering, how would you guys like to share an apartment together? The application fee is 40$ non-refundable and we could split on that. I've also been told that the application process can take few months, therefore I am planning on submitting an application quite soon. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in. Thanks

congrats, and welcome, Tuochi!

14000 per year is more than enough to cover your living expenses. although the U is situated right next to a metropolis, it is however very affordable to live in the vicinity of campus.. unlike places such as NY, LA, etc. so far, i've seen than single rooms in an apartment cost 300-450$ and studio/basement/one-person apartment cost 450-700$. so yes, with the amount of money you will be given, you should have no problem in living terms of living expenses.

and although you cannot come here till august, you can start looking for apts early. i assume there's a chinese association in minneapolis. so, see if chinese people on campus are willing to help you on that. if not, you can email the international services and see if they can match you with a mentor/peer who can be your guide in minneapolis for few weeks, as you are new. or, you can simply email the housing ads and explain them the situation. that might work out as well. as a last resort, you can always apply to housing for grad students managed by the school. but i know that spots in these type of housing are very limited, so you might want to act early.

Thank you for your opinion! That's really comforting. My department is on the Minneapolis campus, west bank and I have to work as a TA so I think it's better to live near though I haven't made up my mind of where to live. I heard that there are many rental ads in this area. Hope that I can find a satisfactory department and roommate.

Hi hi,

Bhikaari, I'm currently looking for appartment closer to Minneapolis campus or in uptown, so the St Paul area isn't really where I'm looking. If I don't find anything I'll let you know and we can see where you are then in the appartment hunting stage :)

Bhikaari, I'm currently looking for appartment closer to Minneapolis campus or in uptown, so the St Paul area isn't really where I'm looking. If I don't find anything I'll let you know and we can see where you are then in the appartment hunting stage :)

sounds good! good luck on the hunt!

Hi everybody,

There's an active Minneapolis thread in the City Guide section, but I thought it might be interesting to get all the newly admitted students together! I know there are several :) I don't know anybody in Minneapolis yet, so it would be nice to get to know you!

I'm from the Netherlands and I'm in the Psychology department. I've never been to Minneapolis or even the United States, so at the moment I feel kind of crazy for doing this... But I'm sure I'll meet fantastic people over there!

Where in Ned are you from? I am in art history and study Early Modern Europe--including the Low Countries!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone

I got and admit from Minnesota - MS EE.

I am currently in Bangalore, India.

I live in Singapore. Anyone planning to travel to Minneapolis from Singapore??

Congratulations to everyone on the admit.

Hoping to get to know my batch mates.

Also I am looking for a female room mate.

Hello mudita,

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm not in your cohort, but it's nice to get to know you. Do you already have an apartment in mind? I am probably spoken for, but if you give more information you might be able to find a roommate here!

Hey

Thank you for replying.

Nope i dont have any apartment or area in mind. I thought I will start with the room mate search first. I am basically from Delhi. Looking for a female room mate.

I have no issues with drinking and non-veg or guys coming over (would expect the same for my room mate)..

I have a few college seniors in Minneapolis. Trying to find about good area to live and etc from them. And also going through all the minnesota posts here (as i joined the forum late)

What abt you?

I am probably spoken for, but if you give more information you might be able to find a roommate here!

indeed. but the number of new (and old) UofM students in the board are few and far between. still, no harm in searching and socializing :)

I have a few college seniors in Minneapolis. Trying to find about good area to live and etc from them. And also going through all the minnesota posts here (as i joined the forum late)

another place to get such info and potentially, some help, is your department. current students there might be moving in/out and are looking for room/housemates. or they might have friends who are on the look. so, contact the dept and/or current grad students couple of months before you fly out. good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be starting in Anthropology at UMN in the fall.

A friend of mine familiar with Minneapolis said that housing is relatively easy to find, and that if you start looking in May/June for an August move-in, that should be more than enough time.

I'd be interested in getting a house/larger apartment with other incoming students to keep costs down (ideally looking for $450 or less).

Yeah, the department is a good place to look as well.

I've found a place through craigslist, so that can work as well (though you should make sure you're not dealing with scammers). You should ask yourself what's important for you. Things you might want:

- living close to campus, or alternatively, living close to bus lines (remember, you can only safely cycle about 8 months of the year from what I've heard, the other 4 months there's too much snow)

- a safe neighbourhood (for example, I've heard negative things about Whittier)

- airconditioning (it can get pretty hot in summer)

- a cheap place to live - and that will mean sharing with others. How many people is okay for you? What are you used to? And what type of person are you, do you want to party at home or do you want a quite place to study? Living with undergraduates could mean having partying housemates...

Anyway, it's good to think about these questions and then you can find something that's good for you. It's difficult that as international students some of us can't go and check out the places ourselves - but maybe somebody else could do that for you. Good luck with your hunt!

• 4 weeks later...