University of Pittsburgh or University of Michigan for a Phd in humanities?

plop23

What subject within the humanities, and what concentration within the subject???

Yes, you really need to provide more information if you want any useful advice. Also, it depends on what each is offering.

I'm looking to study the colombian and mexican literature and documentary film in the first ten years of the XXI century. Well both offer fellowship during the first year and the dissertation year. Similar stipend but michigan gives two research summer grants.

Thanks for th help

well, if it's by location, I would choose Pittsburgh. Great town.

Being from Pittsburgh, I concur. Pitt has a very strong Latin American studies faculty. I know someone who's getting a phd in Latin American literature, though he's concentrating on political literature and music from earlier in the 20th century. I can't speak for Michigan but I can say that Pitt is very good.

I'm asking myself the same question, just about their philosophy programs instead of their respective strengths in Colombian and Mexican literature and film.

You may have already done these, but some things I found useful were:

asking the professors at my undergraduate institution their opinions (or asking them to ask other professors in the field their opinions)

reading some of the works written by faculty at each institution

contacting the professors about their research interests

looking at job placements (it may be especially helpful to see what and where a recent graduate with similar interests is doing)

good luck!

I'm asking myself the same question, just about their philosophy programs instead of their respective strengths in Colombian and Mexican literature and film.

You may have already done these, but some things I found useful were:

asking the professors at my undergraduate institution their opinions (or asking them to ask other professors in the field their opinions)

reading some of the works written by faculty at each institution

contacting the professors about their research interests

looking at job placements (it may be especially helpful to see what and where a recent graduate with similar interests is doing)

good luck!

Thank you philosophy chic ,

I accepted the Upitts Fellowship XD. A friend of mine told me that the Pitts philosophy of science Phd is an unbeateble program. XD what are your reaearche interest? XD