How do Americans view McGill?

jenna1212

Since this a predominantly American grad school forum, I thought I would get some American opinions on McGill University. I am going to be doing grad work at McGill and will most likely continue my studies in the US. Just wondering how it is viewed south of the (Canadian) border. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. Thoughts?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by Americans. In general, I think we don't think of it at all. It's not really a name in the typical American's lexicon. I am familiar with it, and had a relative who did one of his degrees there - but then, he's Canadian.

I think those who know it are view it as a good institution, but I also know several grad students who a year or so ago thought I was talking about a "fake online university." I have to think these are extreme cases in academic type people. The people who will matter to you will know it's a fine school.

Good luck!

I respectfully disagree with Minnesotan. I applied to McGill (I'm from the US) and told a lot of people. Everyone knows of it as "that great school in Canada." Most people I know think of it as top-ranked. My brother likes to call it the Harvard of Canada. I live in Washington, D.C. and everyone knows it. Now, I got accepted and am going to Montreal next week to visit, but I have to be honest. I am having a hard time choosing it over a couple of my U.S. choices because of the branding. It is branded really well in Canada, known in the U.S. and stop. Top-ranked U.S. schools' branding just extends further. Someone said to me, "If you see yourself working in Canada, go there." I think that says something. Also, depends on your program. Which program by the way?

I second Pesar's comments. From what I have been told by senior faculty, who received PhDs in the US, is that McGill is widely considered a great school in academia but my impression is that its public perception is a bit more dubious. UBC, McGill and possibly Toronto are the most recognizable schools internationally in Canada is my impression. York and Western are regional schools in Canada and I wouldn't expect their reach to be wide in the US.

For Pesar's it depends on what "top-ranked" American programs you are comparing McGill to. What are your choices? Btw, my program is political science.

I think it is fairly well respected by those who know about it - I think is has the best rep in the US of all the Canadian Universities by far. In New England at least, I would imagine that most in academia know and think highly of McGill.

I suppose I could be biased. You see, everyone in Minnesota knows someone who went to York or Western, but few could even tell you which province houses McGill. I'm not saying that McGill is a bad school (oh, the self-important snobs there would have a heart attack if I dared!), or that York or Western are in any way better schools. I'm just talking about familiarity.

All I know is that, in my experience, the name recognition of McGill is very low outside of the academy. It is not a brand name, by any means. In fact there's about 1.5 Canadian schools that are brand names in America (UofT, with UBC being the 0.5).

If you want to teach in Canada, McGill is an excellent choice.

I suppose I could be biased. You see, everyone in Minnesota knows someone who went to York or Western, but few could even tell you which province houses McGill. I'm not saying that McGill is a bad school (oh, the self-important snobs there would have a heart attack if I dared!), or that York or Western are in any way better schools. I'm just talking about familiarity.

All I know is that, in my experience, the name recognition of McGill is very low outside of the academy. It is not a brand name, by any means. In fact there's about 1.5 Canadian schools that are brand names in America (UofT, with UBC being the 0.5).

If you want to teach in Canada, McGill is an excellent choice.

the self-important snob dares you! :)

I do agree with Mnnesotan to certain extent. It's been traditionally an academia-oriented school, though the difficulties it has had with funding makes that reputation a bit shaky. If McGill had the financial resources that UofT has, it could've made a much better institution than it already is. It certainly took a hit when 45% of Quebecois decided to vote YES for separation.

I'm not sure if I agree about the name value of York or Western in the states - I grew up near Western so my view of the school may be little tainted. They ARE good schools in certain areas, including business and management, which happens to be the bringer of reputation.

So I think there're several factors to consider

a) the regional factor - It seems there's a lot greater chance that a person from eastcoast will recognize the name than someone from, say, California. From the demographic of Americans I've encountered, many of them are from NY, NJ, Vermont, and other eastern part of the US.

B) your discipline. McGill may be known to ppl working in certain field than others.

c) French! I think that the fact that it's in Quebec, a francophone part of Canada, makes it somewhat more distant to some people. Though it is an English institution, I've seen people shy away from McGill specifically because they didn't want to deal with French issue outside the school.

That being said, there's an incredibly large number of American citizens on McGill campus for its size. They seem to love it, especially if they were looking for a good quality education with good name for half the pricetag of private US school.

This came up in the Political Science subforum, and I can pretty succinctly repeat what I wrote there.

When looking into potential schools, I literally looked at every single institution in English-speaking countries, so McGill did not escape my notice. Along with Toronto and Alberta, it ended up on my final application list. When I talked to people from my department and area (a little south of Chicago, MIDDLE AMERICA!) about those three schools, everyone recommended Toronto, a few people recommended Alberta, and nobody had heard of McGill. This really just confirms that it is a Northeastern America situation, but since so much of the country is there anyway, it might not be so bad.

But it is true, why go for your entire degree in another country unless they have a specific program that you need or you want to stay there?

For any canadian university McGill has the most no. of American students and also the most no. of intl students. McGill has a way better reputation globally than York or Western or UofT. I had never heard of any Canadian school except for McGill in Asia.Brand names are funny things. There are ppl in Texas I know who have never heard of Dartmouth or Brown :)

McGill punches above its weight especially in the sciences,medicine, law, and music.So entirely depends on your program.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use