Jump to content

Deferring an Accept?


Recommended Posts

So I have one accept at a program I really like, but has poor funding. I'm waiting for the other three, which I expect will have fabulous funding, and one of wh is my top choice. If I get accepted there, this whole conversation will be moot. BUT if I don't get accepted, I have Fall Back School.

I really do love Fall Back School. The major problem is money. They don't have much. Probably not even to cover tuition (for a PhD!). But the program is growing and getting more university recognition. The prof I'm in contact with said that finances will likely improve in the near future. And a student I talked to said they accepted a bunch of people last year with some money, not expecting that all would come, and all did come, so they blew their budget. (granted, that's a student report)

Money aside, I believe the program is a good fit. Do you think it would inappropriate to ask them to defer my acceptance until next year when they could offer me a better financial package? I could be fine with just tuition covered and a TAship to cover incidental expenses and childcare, since I have a wonderful, loving, supportive spouse who could cover our family's cost of living. So I don't think I'm asking for the moon.

Do people ever do this? defer acceptance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use