Intriguing Voice Mail

I posted this on the Waiting it Out board, but it might be better suited for this one...

Tonight I received a voice mail message from a graduate English department "marketing assistant" about an MA program I applied to a couple weeks ago. She said the call was to see if I had any questions about the application process or grad student life there or anything like that, and she invited me to some open house thing in early March, saying they'd refund my app fee if I came. She also left her "personal" cell phone number so I could call back. I really don't think it means anything regarding a decision, as this is a marketing person and the application deadline isn't until March 1, but would they really call each applicant individually???

I posted this on the Waiting it Out board, but it might be better suited for this one...

Tonight I received a voice mail message from a graduate English department "marketing assistant" about an MA program I applied to a couple weeks ago. She said the call was to see if I had any questions about the application process or grad student life there or anything like that, and she invited me to some open house thing in early March, saying they'd refund my app fee if I came. She also left her "personal" cell phone number so I could call back. I really don't think it means anything regarding a decision, as this is a marketing person and the application deadline isn't until March 1, but would they really call each applicant individually???

sounds like a great opportunity! and a refund!! Go go GO!! :-)

I got the exact same call, and I assumed it was going to everyone -- it just sounded like she was reciting a script. I thought it was a little odd though--why send info like this now, when we haven't gotten in yet? Maybe they aren't that selective. I dunno.

Edited by bck203

I got the exact same call, and I assumed it was going to everyone -- it just sounded like she was reciting a script. I thought it was a little odd though--why send info like this now, when we haven't gotten in yet? Maybe they aren't that selective. I dunno.

I got the feeling from it that she wasn't necessarily reading a script, but had a list of things to bring up. This is the first time I've heard of a school actually calling an applicant, other than for an interview or acceptance. I spoke with one of my profs about it, and his guess is that they're reaching out to promising applicants. It doesn't make sense to me that they would call EVERY person who applied, no matter how selective they are/aren't. Did you actually speak with her, or was it a voice mail?

I got an actual call setting out the same stuff mentioned above. I was caught off-guard so I didn't think to ask any questions but she said to feel free to reach out to her or the program director with any.