cocorosie Posted February 22, 2011 Share Posted February 22, 2011 (edited) Hi everyone, I would really, really appreciate any advice or input anyone has about picking a program (they are professional degree programs and I haven't yet decided whether to definitely continue onto a PhD. I am leaning toward yes). I've narrowed it down to two schools. I'm feeling pretty torn and have gone back and forth several times between the two. They're both top 5 for my field, but still are very different. Students in both programs eventually go into practice and research. I've got a decision deadline and am afraid that the decision I make will come down to how I feel on that day. I'm finally leaning fairly heavily toward one, but this is after much vacillating. School A: Faculty fit: Their faculty are impressive and doing lots of research, but fit with my personal interests is not great. I could definitely make it work, though.Department reputation:The department is #1 and well respected in the US and abroadLocation: Not located anywhere near I'd eventually like to end upCurriculum: more practice based, no real focus on research (but I would supplement w/ research electives, and pursue research opportunities) and would leave will a great skill set for practice$?: Partial tuition scholarshipReally great job placement/post grad placement. School B: Faculty fit: Well aligned with my interests, large faculty with breadth of different research interests, most of which are interesting to meDepartment reputation: not as well known as School A for my department, known for other departmentsLocation: Located where I'd eventually like to end upCan tailor curriculum very, very closely to my interests, would get experience in research$?: No money (I would try to get a RA or TA position but am worried that 20 hrs/week would hurt my studies when I could be attending school A and receiving a scholarship for no work.Good job placement/post grad placement, partially because of its great location So I guess the big questions are, does it matter as much that faculty fit is not great for School A if it's for a masters program and not a doctoral? I know the stakes are certainly higher for doctoral. Also, I would find it difficult to turn down money and a better known department, for no money at a lesser known department--even if I do feel that School B's fit may be better. Which one would you choose? Thank you in advance for any advice!!! Edited February 22, 2011 by cocorosie Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now