Jump to content

declining an offer when you're still undecided


tarator

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I have three offers, and feel certain now that I will not be choosing one of them. I feel the responsibility of letting that program know as soon as possible so that that they can move onto their wait-listed candidates. Of the other two, one program is my first choice, but they're being slow on funding news, so I unfortunately cannot make a final decision until they get back to me.

Now, I've been corresponding at length with someone in the program I've decided against, so I feel I should send them more than a basic "no, thank you" email.

My question is:

Should I mention the fact that I've decided to... erm... chose between two other programs? That just sounds kind of awful to me. And to disclose more and say, well, I really want A, but I'm just waiting on funding info, and so I'm also considering B... sounds... just as tasteless.

Argh! Any suggestions on how to word this would be much appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless you already have an acceptable funding package for B, you really should wait until you hear back on funding for A. But if you know 100% that you will be taken care of, either by A or B, then yeah, go ahead and inform your third choice that you have made a decision.

They're going to ask why, though, and it is still early in the process. Going to the waitlist in mid-March isn't *that* bad - it just seems late here on GradCafe because we've all been talking about our up-to-the-minute acceptances. Thus, I would still recommend waiting until you hear back on funding from A. Good luck, and congratulations!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless you already have an acceptable funding package for B, you really should wait until you hear back on funding for A. But if you know 100% that you will be taken care of, either by A or B, then yeah, go ahead and inform your third choice that you have made a decision.

They're going to ask why, though, and it is still early in the process. Going to the waitlist in mid-March isn't *that* bad - it just seems late here on GradCafe because we've all been talking about our up-to-the-minute acceptances. Thus, I would still recommend waiting until you hear back on funding from A. Good luck, and congratulations!

Thank you, this is helpful! I guess I should wait a bit longer, at least. I am just worried that school A will take until very late in the process to get back on funding. But at any rate, I don't know that- it could just be next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use