Cornell EE... any news?

electrifice

I got an email inviting me to the visit day on April 1st. Apparently decisions (both admission and financial aid) will be made AFTER that based on our interactions with faculty (they specifically stated that last part). Wtf? It's not required but there's no doubt that you would shoot down your chances of fellowship or RA by not visiting, or perhaps even of getting admitted at all. So what do they about internationals then? (I'm not one, but this makes me wonder).

I got an email inviting me to the visit day on April 1st. Apparently decisions (both admission and financial aid) will be made AFTER that based on our interactions with faculty (they specifically stated that last part). Wtf? It's not required but there's no doubt that you would shoot down your chances of fellowship or RA by not visiting, or perhaps even of getting admitted at all. So what do they about internationals then? (I'm not one, but this makes me wonder).

Really? That's really odd. Are you going for MS or PhD?

I'm PhD. This is my first notice of any kind from Cornell. For what it's worth, my other results were admission with fellowship at Illinois EE and Northwestern MatSci, admission without funding (yet?) at Stanford EE, waitlist at MIT EE, rejection at Berkeley EE. So I should have a good shot at admission to Cornell. The email and the attachment:

Greetings from Cornell University and the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Field of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Attached is a letter containing details regarding our Visit Day for prospective students that will be held on Friday April 1, 2011.

Visit Day Details – Friday 04/01/2011:

We are planning a Visit Day and organized sessions for prospective graduate students on Friday April 1, 2011. To encourage your visit during this open house, we will reimburse you for the full cost of local expenses (including accommodations) and up to $500.00 for airfare, provided that you indicate that you will be attending the Visit Day at least four (4) weeks in advance (no later than Friday March 4th).

Arrangements have already been made lodging; you do not have to make them yourself. You should expect to have a roommate during your visit. We would encourage you to RSVP and book your travel as early as you can, in order to get the best available rates possible. If you are unable to come during the Visit Day, we encourage you to arrange a separate visit. Please contact me directly for more specific details as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact either myself, or Professor Edwin Kan (kan@ece.cornell.edu) the ECE Director of Graduate Studies. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Scott Coldren

Manager of Student Services

Electrical and Computer Engineering

Cornell University

The Graduate Admissions Committee of the Field of Electrical and Computer Engineering has reviewed your application to our PhD program and we were very impressed with your academic achievements as well as your future potential. At this time, we would like to invite you to attend our Visit Day being held on Friday April 1, 2011, so that we may have the opportunity to discuss potential opportunities in our program, especially for research interest match with our faculty. Based on your interactions with our faculty during your time on campus, a finalized decision regarding your admission and financial aid to our PhD program will be determined immediately following the Visit Day.

(bunch of other stuff)