Contacting department for results...?

kbirch

Hey everyone... I am in the "waiting waiting waiting - how many times a day can you check your email without going completely off your rocker" boat. I've been rejected from one school and am waiting for the rest.

How does calling to find out your status work? I called one school last Monday and they told me that they would be making decisions soon, and then on Thursday I emailed the chairperson but she hasn't gotten back to me. It's safe to assume her nonchalance with responding to my email signifies a rejection, but could I call again since I haven't heard? It's been a week...

Basically, can I display the lack of desperation and insanity which I have reached, or should I keep it inside for a few more days?

It's safe to assume her nonchalance with responding to my email signifies a rejection, but could I call again since I haven't heard? It's been a week...

It reminds me of dating! (ha ha jk)

Seriously though, I'd say it depends. I satiated my need to know by calling one of the programs and asking whether "all applicants who have been admitted have been contacted." This was at U Mich. The graduate coordinator politely said yes.

I wouldn't do it at the place i really, really want to go, for fear of upsetting the ever-so-underestimated staff. Unless March at least.

Edited by suerte

It reminds me of dating! (ha ha jk)

YES! I feel like a 1950's tv-show, where I am that pathetic girl sitting next to her phone with a party dress already on, judging all my worth on how much such-and-such Dream Boy School likes me and thinks I'm smart enough.

Enough already!

I believe it is totally appropriate to check on the status of your application. That's exactly why there are the designated "Graduate Program Secretary/Coordinator/Other name of a similar position." They expect to receive those types of questions, and they do not have to reply if they don't want to. You have nothing to loose--no one is the history of this painful process has ever been, or ever will be, eliminated from serious consideration because they asked about the status of their application on February 23. Go for it!

Edited by tmor6