Opinions on choosing?

miketakena

Just would like opinions about this:

If you were given $ to do your PhD in a top US school (quite attractive terms see link). But you will be bonded to the sponsor university (with a low staff:student ratio, low quality of grad students [since best grad candidates head for the West] and lots of admin) as an assistant professor for 5 years. Would you take this deal if you already have a funded offer from the top US school?

What are you reasons for "YES I will" and "NO I won't" sentiments?

Just would like opinions about this:

If you were given $ to do your PhD in a top US school (quite attractive terms see link). But you will be bonded to the sponsor university (with a low staff:student ratio, low quality of grad students [since best grad candidates head for the West] and lots of admin) as an assistant professor for 5 years. Would you take this deal if you already have a funded offer from the top US school?

What are you reasons for "YES I will" and "NO I won't" sentiments?

This might be better as its own topic. Mods?

I think the question you need to ask yourself is whether the sponsored funding is good enough to justify dedicating five years after you graduate to working at the sponsoring school. It also doesn't say that you would be an "assistant professor" at the sponsoring school. It just says that you are expected to serve the school for five years. That sounds rather ominous. I didn't see a dollar value for the stipend they mentioned and that would be a critical thing to know. If the school you wish to attend is already offering you a funded position, then I would almost certainly turn down the sponsorship program. It sounds, to me, like the sponsorship program is aimed at students who are unable to get funded offers from their programs of choice.

Also note: the sponsorship program cuts off funding after 5.5 years and requires that you must be finished with your studies within 7.5 years. Depending on your field and school, this may not be enough time to complete your degree. That alone should be cause for concern.

I'm interested to see what others think about this.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use