Interview, pt. deux

So, last fall I contacted a Prof. whose research I'm really excited about. He got in touch and we had an informal phone chat for about an hour. We talked about my interests and background, his research, possible research opportunities, etc. I haven't heard anything since (other than quick responses to a few of my questions), but last week got an email asking of I could come out to visit so that we could meet and I could get a feel for the dept. This is pretty much the worst possible timing imaginable, and its completely impossible for me to visit right now, but we are going to have another phone chat later this week instead.

I guess I'm just wondering what sorts of things he may want to ask? This is an über-competitive/prestigious program that I'm honestly amazed to be in the running for, and I want to show that I'm as excited by the department as I am. But since we've already spoken at length in the past, I guess I'm not certain just what we'll be covering, or what he may still be curious about (other than reading me for pure fit/personality, which is terrifying!).

Any thoughts or advice on what may be coming?

Well it sounds like you are under serious consideration for acceptance. I would prepare just like you prepared for the first interview and anticipate similar questions. It could be a conversation about fit - about what you would or could do at that department. It could also be a situation where you are among select finalists and so you'd want to be impressive during the interview. Good luck!

It could be a conversation about fit - about what you would or could do at that department. It could also be a situation where you are among select finalists and so you'd want to be impressive during the interview. Good luck!

This visit is really important--there's no way you can make it? Have you ever been out there? How much contact have you had with the rest of his/her lab? Meeting other labmates in person is pretty important. At the very least, get on the phone with them or email. (I'm assuming you're going into a science or engineering group... correct me if I'm wrong.)

Think of this as an opportunity to ask about funding updates, new projects in the works, projects that have been canned, and so on. Do you have any new project ideas you can share?

I'm now a postdoc, but I actually just started a blog (like, yesterday) to help people understand in better detail how the science PhD admissions process works. This morning I happened to post about interviewing with a potential advisor, and I talk about the fit/personality part a little. Tomorrow or Tuesday I'll write about meeting potential labmates. I hope it helps--I'd love feedback.

Edited by phdsucceed

This visit is really important--there's no way you can make it? Have you ever been out there? How much contact have you had with the rest of his/her lab? Meeting other labmates in person is pretty important. At the very least, get on the phone with them or email. (I'm assuming you're going into a science or engineering group... correct me if I'm wrong.)

Think of this as an opportunity to ask about funding updates, new projects in the works, projects that have been canned, and so on. Do you have any new project ideas you can share?

I'm now a postdoc, but I actually just started a blog (like, yesterday) to help people understand in better detail how the science PhD admissions process works. This morning I happened to post about interviewing with a potential advisor, and I talk about the fit/personality part a little. Tomorrow or Tuesday I'll write about meeting potential labmates. I hope it helps--I'd love feedback.

The two posts you have up are really good and insightful reads. Are people evaluating applicants as much even if it's a recruiting visit (i.e. you've already been admitted?) It was a little eye opening to read that admissions committees solicit feedback about applicants from students and faculty at interview events.

The two posts you have up are really good and insightful reads. Are people evaluating applicants as much even if it's a recruiting visit (i.e. you've already been admitted?) It was a little eye opening to read that admissions committees solicit feedback about applicants from students and faculty at interview events.

There's obviously a lot of variation in how it's done in different departments. If you don't have an adviser picked out by the time you're recruited, then yes, the faculty are still trying to assess whom they might want to work with. Other faculty interested in similar questions and methodologies might be thinking of projects they have that might interest you. Even if you do know who your future adviser is, he/she is still trying to plan on some level who will do what and what resources will be made available. Should she save a plum project for you despite the fact that as a first-year grad student, you'll probably get it done more slowly than others and have a higher chance of screwing up, or should she give you something easier but less interesting? Those are the kinds of questions that can be answered in these conversations. First-year grad students represent enormous sunk costs for most PIs, and they want to figure out how to get you off the ground. (Thanks for giving me a few more post ideas.)

In general, anytime you're in a room of (potential) scientists, everyone's evaluating on some level whom they want to spend more time & collaborate with. The professional and social can get pretty tangled in academia.

There's obviously a lot of variation in how it's done in different departments. If you don't have an adviser picked out by the time you're recruited, then yes, the faculty are still trying to assess whom they might want to work with. Other faculty interested in similar questions and methodologies might be thinking of projects they have that might interest you. Even if you do know who your future adviser is, he/she is still trying to plan on some level who will do what and what resources will be made available. Should she save a plum project for you despite the fact that as a first-year grad student, you'll probably get it done more slowly than others and have a higher chance of screwing up, or should she give you something easier but less interesting? Those are the kinds of questions that can be answered in these conversations. First-year grad students represent enormous sunk costs for most PIs, and they want to figure out how to get you off the ground. (Thanks for giving me a few more post ideas.)

In general, anytime you're in a room of (potential) scientists, everyone's evaluating on some level whom they want to spend more time & collaborate with. The professional and social can get pretty tangled in academia.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look out for your next blog posts :)

Thanks so much for the insights. Believe me, I know how important a visit is, and if there were any way I could make it I would, but its just physically impossible within the next week or so (which is the visit window offered). Le sigh.

I do plan to ask the POI if I can speak with any of their current lab group students so that I can get a better feel for the department and the way things run. I also plan to ask about ongoing research, if anything new has come up or if something has changed, and to share my own ideas or ways to spin some of their current research avenues.

The more I think about it, the more I realize this conversation probably is about judging my fit within the dept and (especially) the group, which is pretty intimidating. But hey, very exciting that I'm being considered, so matter what!

And your blog looks great - thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks so much for the insights. Believe me, I know how important a visit is, and if there were any way I could make it I would, but its just physically impossible within the next week or so (which is the visit window offered). Le sigh.

I do plan to ask the POI if I can speak with any of their current lab group students so that I can get a better feel for the department and the way things run. I also plan to ask about ongoing research, if anything new has come up or if something has changed, and to share my own ideas or ways to spin some of their current research avenues.

The more I think about it, the more I realize this conversation probably is about judging my fit within the dept and (especially) the group, which is pretty intimidating. But hey, very exciting that I'm being considered, so matter what!

And your blog looks great - thanks so much for sharing!

I'm glad the blog might help some people! I'm very open to suggestions on what to write about.

I didn't mean to make too much of a deal about visiting. Many grad students, especially Asians applying to schools in the U.S., don't get to visit.

It surprised me a little that you wrote you'd ask the PI if you could contact people in the lab. You should feel free to do this anyway--it wouldn't be presumptuous at all (though contacting a lab tech might be different). As an applicant and a grad student and postdoc, I've had extensive conversations by email and over the phone with people with whom I couldn't meet in person.

Don't be intimidated! Try to have fun. Even if you don't join the lab, you may work with its members later.

Thanks so much again for the advice - and yeah, I figured I could naturally contact his lab members to ask questions, but I just felt like it would be a nice way to telegraph my interest. Plus, while I'd never ask anything inappropriate, I figure getting 'permission' to grill his group is always a plus :)

So! It turns out that it wasn't much of an interview at all - rather, the POI checked in/said hi, then said that he really wants me in his lab, and that if he can find the funding, I'm in. I honestly felt like this school was well beyond my reach, so I'm definitely in the mindset of 'it's an honor just to be nominated', but the possibility of actually attending is really exciting! Now I just have to hope that the money side works itself out....

Congratulations! That's freaking awesome.

I know it's easy to focus on the "Do they like me???" aspect of all this, but remember that you're a consumer too. Definitely make sure there's money available before you accept, and do some comparison shopping.

This reminds me that maybe I should write a post on extramural fellowships (e.g., NSF GRFP). Though they're competitive enough that you shouldn't count on winning one, they can make life for you and your adviser a lot easier.

I hope you keep us updated!

Edited by phdsucceed