CUNY Grad Comparative Literature

Watmeworry

Hello fellow Comparativists,

Does any one know anything about the number of people who apply and who are accepted at CUNY Grad Center for Comparative Lit ? I applied to Stony Brook and got rejected on the website. It was a blow to my ego! However, I'm really hoping to get into this program.I also applied to NYU and they told me they would be working on the application in dribs and drabs right until April 15th. This seems like a small drop of torture.

I don't have any information for you about CUNY's numbers, but I'm also applying to CUNY, Stony Brook, and NYU for comparative literature (as well as the MA program at Columbia)! What are your areas of interest, out of curiosity?

I'm writing my dissertation on Wordsworth and capitalism, and I've done work on English and French 19th century . I am particularly interested by aesthetics and ethics.

I have my in BA English Comparative Lit from Columbia University. Finishing LSMA Modern European Studies at Columbia . I took almost all my classes in the English and Comp Lit program there. My adviser is the chair of comp lit.

I also applied to Rutgers. I don't know how many they take either?

I don't have any information for you about CUNY's numbers, but I'm also applying to CUNY, Stony Brook, and NYU for comparative literature (as well as the MA program at Columbia)! What are your areas of interest, out of curiosity?

Edited by Watmeworry

It looks like our research interests and backgrounds are pretty different -- I earned my BA in literature with an interdisciplinary gender studies minor at a tiny liberal arts college in Florida and am applying for the MA/Ph.D. I'm most interested in 19th century Russian and French realist literature, novels of adultery, contemporary feminist/gender theory, psychoanalysis, and theories of the novel. I wrote a comparative undergraduate thesis on representations of women in the works of Flaubert and Tolstoy, using different theoretical frameworks for seminal novels and lesser-known short stories.

Also, I applied to Rutgers, but not to their comparative literature program -- their Women's and Gender Studies Ph.D program has been the only program I've heard back from thus far (rejected, unfortunately).

I'm writing my dissertation on Wordsworth and capitalism, and I've done work on English and French 19th century . I am particularly interested by aesthetics and ethics.

I have my in BA English Comparative Lit from Columbia University. Finishing LSMA Modern European Studies at Columbia . I took almost all my classes in the English and Comp Lit program there. My adviser is the chair of comp lit.

I also applied to Rutgers. I don't know how many they take either?

It looks like our research interests and backgrounds are pretty different -- I earned my BA in literature with an interdisciplinary gender studies minor at a tiny liberal arts college in Florida and am applying for the MA/Ph.D. I'm most interested in 19th century Russian and French realist literature, novels of adultery, contemporary feminist/gender theory, psychoanalysis, and theories of the novel. I wrote a comparative undergraduate thesis on representations of women in the works of Flaubert and Tolstoy, using different theoretical frameworks for seminal novels and lesser-known short stories.

Also, I applied to Rutgers, but not to their comparative literature program -- their Women's and Gender Studies Ph.D program has been the only program I've heard back from thus far (rejected, unfortunately).

Maybe we'll end up in a French Lit class at CUNY. Andre Aciman is a Proustian. I am reading Balzac to inform my work on Wordsworth and the social implications of his work. Any way i hope we get the opportunity to decide one way or the other, GOOD LUCK to us both!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I have applied to CUNY comp Lit too italian specialization but haven't heard anything yet. Unfortunately as I have seen 5 admissions plus someone else who wrote about an email he/she recieved in which there was written tha they admitted few students so I believe the game is over......apparently over 100 applicants however how is it possible they took decision to admit without even considering all application received?

In any case good luck to all of us!!!!! and let's keep in touch!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi...I was just wondering if anybody has had some experience or knows about the concrete benefits of the inter doctoral consortium that u r eligible to attend once u r accepted into a PhD program at CUNY. I graduated from Hunter and earned an MA Comp Lit from a German -, including some coursework from a British University with a focus on postmodern America / culture - media - gender. As I am not interested in pursuing an academic / research career per se but would rather like to integrate and formally solidify my experience as a writer, translator and practicioner in the socio-cultural field, I think the consortium would afford me the necessary flexibility to address my needs better than let's say an MFA or MSW program with a definite set of modules. However, is it in fact the case that a student is eligible to attend any classes offered in the graduate division of the consortium, including practically based ones such as creative writing in thearapeutic context, cultural reporting or advanced literary translation for instances, or is the attendance restricted to theoretical courses geared towards completing a scholarly dissertation? Also, I remember that there was not a lot of handholding during my undergraduate; thus I am wondering to what extent professors are supportive of students' interdisciplinary approaches and ideas that deviate from the traditional canon, plus efforts of getting published. I do want to gain credibility as an authority in the subject, but I refuse to just sit and grow grey hair in the library. Does anybody have a clue or similar concerns as me?