Stony Brook

alexa

Hi everyone!

I was admitted to the PhD program at Stony Brook. Who else got in? And more importantly: Who else is going? I am looking for prospective roommates since living on campus seems to be kind of expensive.

Hi there, I have applied Ph.D. of stony brook as well. I am an international student, until now, I have not received any news from their admission committee.

Anyway, I am glad to know you.

Hi everyone!

I was admitted to the PhD program at Stony Brook. Who else got in? And more importantly: Who else is going? I am looking for prospective roommates since living on campus seems to be kind of expensive.

Hi there, I have applied Ph.D. of stony brook as well. I am an international student, until now, I have not received any news from their admission committee.

Anyway, I am glad to know you.

Great to meet you! I am actually also an international student....So you applied for PhD in Biomedical Engineering? Maybe you should call up the department and ask them about the status of your application.

Great to meet you! I am actually also an international student....So you applied for PhD in Biomedical Engineering? Maybe you should call up the department and ask them about the status of your application.

Yesterday, I just received the offer from biomedical department that is sent to my flat directly without any interview and online notification.

How is the campus of stony brook?

Hi!

I may go to Stony Brook, there is a small *big* issue about funding that they are trying to solve, if everything goes well, I'll know this week (screaam!!)

I have been obsessing so badly about going there, and have planned almost everything!

Housing outside of campus seems cheaper, but the real difference is when you rent a house and share it. You can pay around 400 USD monthly and live in a big decent place!

But I think a bit of a problem would be proving good credit history, since I am an international student as well...

Also, living outside campus means you will definitely need a car. Second hand cars seem pretty cheap, but don't know if even "cheap" is affordable with a grad student stipend.

I am also a bit concerned about living in a place that includes snow shoveling. It seems every winter comes really awful and the mountains of snow get out of hand, and I can't imagine myself trying to get out of my place covered by huge packs of snow...

Have you visited? I went there a few months ago, I really liked it! Having done internships in NYC, at first I thought it was a bit isolated, but I changed my mind after visiting, it seems a great place to focus on you work and if you really need a few crazy days, go to NYC!

Congrats to the both of you for getting admission! Seems like we are all international students here...

Have you also been invited to the event on March 25th? Or is it just the PoliSci department that is organizing it?

Congrats to the both of you for getting admission! Seems like we are all international students here...

Have you also been invited to the event on March 25th? Or is it just the PoliSci department that is organizing it?

No I did not receive any information for attending events. I suppose the event is only for your department.

Hi!

I may go to Stony Brook, there is a small *big* issue about funding that they are trying to solve, if everything goes well, I'll know this week (screaam!!)

I have been obsessing so badly about going there, and have planned almost everything!

Housing outside of campus seems cheaper, but the real difference is when you rent a house and share it. You can pay around 400 USD monthly and live in a big decent place!

But I think a bit of a problem would be proving good credit history, since I am an international student as well...

Also, living outside campus means you will definitely need a car. Second hand cars seem pretty cheap, but don't know if even "cheap" is affordable with a grad student stipend.

I am also a bit concerned about living in a place that includes snow shoveling. It seems every winter comes really awful and the mountains of snow get out of hand, and I can't imagine myself trying to get out of my place covered by huge packs of snow...

Have you visited? I went there a few months ago, I really liked it! Having done internships in NYC, at first I thought it was a bit isolated, but I changed my mind after visiting, it seems a great place to focus on you work and if you really need a few crazy days, go to NYC!

You can still live in China without a car, but I think you may need a car in U.S. anyway. Cars are required for doing everything in U.S. I plan to buy a second hand car once I arrive in stony brook.

I suppose 1000 USD can cover everything in stony brook per month.

I am not so sure about this estimation...You already pay around $500 for rent and utilities, plus other living expenses. If you buy a car, then there is also insurance and gas that you have to pay for. Additional costs for books and other school supply have to be considered as well...

Rent would be particularly low if you decide to share a room with someone in a campus apartment. However, sharing a room is not the most desired living arrangement for a grad student, I guess.

Hi, thank you, but I am not officially admitted yet. They said they want me, but have issues with funding and are trying to find a solution. I REALLy hope I can go there...

So I haven't been invited to any event on March 25th.

I am not so sure about this estimation...You already pay around $500 for rent and utilities, plus other living expenses. If you buy a car, then there is also insurance and gas that you have to pay for. Additional costs for books and other school supply have to be considered as well...

Rent would be particularly low if you decide to share a room with someone in a campus apartment. However, sharing a room is not the most desired living arrangement for a grad student, I guess.

You are right Alexa. Stony Brook is pretty expensive, being in NY state an all. When I met current grad students that had an stipend of around USD 18K, they told me they were living very tight, and most of them rely on external fellowships to have a more loose income. I also was told that is better to live on campus during the first year. But I don't know... sharing an apartment with so many people at this point of my life, not sure if I can handle that!

@Pawqara: I will keep my fingers crossed that the funding issue will be resolved soon.

Here are the rates for campus housing. I feel like living with 3 other people in an apartment is fine as long as I have my own room

http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/res/rates.shtml

I would definitely also live on campus, at least the very first year, to become familiar with the university and the students. Also, I don't want to spend extra money on commuting so I think on-campus housing is the best option here, even though it will cost around $600.

In any case, I am really excited about Stony Brook!

Hi, thank you, but I am not officially admitted yet. They said they want me, but have issues with funding and are trying to find a solution. I REALLy hope I can go there...

So I haven't been invited to any event on March 25th.

You are right Alexa. Stony Brook is pretty expensive, being in NY state an all. When I met current grad students that had an stipend of around USD 18K, they told me they were living very tight, and most of them rely on external fellowships to have a more loose income. I also was told that is better to live on campus during the first year. But I don't know... sharing an apartment with so many people at this point of my life, not sure if I can handle that!

18K seems very expensive! The stipend provided cannot cover that. What do you mean by external fellowship? how can I apply external fellowship.

My undergraduate score is not top top.

Thank you Alexa :)

Stony Brook is so expensive Totoro because is in the New York state, taxes are really high there. As Alexa said, living on campus would be the cheapest option, and if you can get an apartment with your own bedroom, things solved! It would be also very nice to have a bike for grocery shopping, since there are not many places walking-distance.

Totoro, you could apply to a large amount of fellowships to get more money for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th.... years. Usually the deadlines for the first year have passed, but you could ask your POI, graduate coordinator, since all of this is field-related.

worst campus ever literally looks like a landfill in some parts, most depressing environment, rated #1 unhappiest school by princeton review, make sure you visit before you decide just my 2 cents

also rent is way more than 500, around 700 to 1100 depending on availability.

and i'm just gonna put this out there, no one outside of long island has even heard of it so be prepared to be met with a lot of skepticism from employers

Edited by stansfield

worst campus ever literally looks like a landfill in some parts, most depressing environment, rated #1 unhappiest school by princeton review, make sure you visit before you decide just my 2 cents

also rent is way more than 500, around 700 to 1100 depending on availability.

and i'm just gonna put this out there, no one outside of long island has even heard of it so be prepared to be met with a lot of skepticism from employers

I appreciate your contribution to this topic. I am sure that you raise some valid points here. However, I disagree with you on the "skepticism" part. Particularly in grad school, it is not about the reputation of the school but about the reputation of the department. Moreover, Stony Brook's placement records are very good. Just recently, a former Stony Brook grad student was hired by Duke.

Edited by alexa

I appreciate your contribution to this topic. I am sure that you raise some valid points here. However, I disagree with you on the "skepticism" part. Particularly in grad school, it is not about the reputation of the school but about the reputation of the department. Moreover, Stony Brook's placement records are very good. Just recently, a former Stony Brook grad student was hired by Duke.

yes that's true all I'm saying is you will meet a lot of clueless headhunters and employers along the way but if you stick to academia, that's less likely. forget this, my main point is really how much that campus sucks... it is abysmal.

yes that's true all I'm saying is you will meet a lot of clueless headhunters and employers along the way but if you stick to academia, that's less likely. forget this, my main point is really how much that campus sucks... it is abysmal.

I have heard all this thing about it being a depressing campus and etc. I suppose for undergrads that are looking to party and are in need of finding booze at any moment of the day, it will be depressing living in a secluded campus where owning a car is not allowed during your first 2 years (as undergrad).

For a graduate student that wishes to concentrate on their studies, requires a peaceful environment and wants a top program, it is a more than fine choice.

I have visited the campus, found it lovely, quiet and inspiring. My program of interest is in the top 10 of my field, and my POI is on the top of my subfield.

And about the rent prices, go to craiglist and check the prices. It is going to be expensive if you want to live on your own 1 bdr apartment, but if you share, even with one person, the costs low considerably.

As they say, it is a matter of "fit".

I have heard all this thing about it being a depressing campus and etc. I suppose for undergrads that are looking to party and are in need of finding booze at any moment of the day, it will be depressing living in a secluded campus where owning a car is not allowed during your first 2 years (as undergrad).

For a graduate student that wishes to concentrate on their studies, requires a peaceful environment and wants a top program, it is a more than fine choice.

I have visited the campus, found it lovely, quiet and inspiring. My program of interest is in the top 10 of my field, and my POI is on the top of my subfield.

And about the rent prices, go to craiglist and check the prices. It is going to be expensive if you want to live on your own 1 bdr apartment, but if you share, even with one person, the costs low considerably.

As they say, it is a matter of "fit".

Just to clear a few things up, there's a difference between a peaceful campus and a dilapidated run down campus. Yes it's pretty quiet especially on weekend in fact it's a ghost town, but it's the worst looking campus I have seen out of maybe 100 or so. The campus was designed about 60 years ago (part of it by a prison architect) or so and it shows. there's no money spent on general upkeep or landscaping and it's incredibly drab. when it rains, mud runs rampant and renders much of the campus unwalkable. Not being a jerk but if you found it inspiring, you need to visit some more campuses. The university of phoenix online campus looks much better, smaller but better.

About rent, a lot of these guys are international students so unless you get a car you can forget about off campus housing because the campus is isolated and there's nothing around for miles. Also I'm not sure if craiglist is the solution. On campus, you're looking at 700 at least and off campus it's probably more. There are very few apartments off campus in general. Long island housing is very expensive especially towards the port jefferson direction and food prices are also very steep.

the reputation of the program is sadly out of their control. it's best subject is pure math by far and still many serious math students have never heard of it or think of it as being on the fringe of top 30 or worse. that's due to a combination of their location and overall reputation. Usually you want to find a program with good personal fit but with stony brook, I'd have to say tread carefully if you have other funded offers. It looks pretty obscure even if you look for work in nyc where it's saturated with ivys and other international brand names.

only redeeming factor is you can hop on the train and be in new york city in 2.5 hours, which is what 80% of the school does every weekend to escape their misery.

there's about 100 other complains easily but i don't want to rent :lol:

if anyone else has other funded choices other than stony brook, seriously visit before you decide. all the domestic students i know there are miserable. The international ones sadly don't know any better. Don't think of all this as an attack but just a friendly suggestion.

im gonna agree with everything the post above says,,,been here since last 4 years for undergraduate...

city is dead, not much to do around, campus pretty meh

definitely not going here for grad school

im gonna agree with everything the post above says,,,been here since last 4 years for undergraduate...

city is dead, not much to do around, campus pretty meh

definitely not going here for grad school

How do you think BME program in Stony Brook? I am afraid I only have the offer from them.

Edited by totoro

How do you think BME program in Stony Brook? I am afraid I only have the offer from them.

BME department is great. Ranked in top 20 in the United States. Faculty is doing some really interesting stuff. Professor Liu is from Stanford and his research in optics is really cool. I would recommend it, but personally I can't stand the depressing environment and that is why I am headed to Toronto for my graduate studies in BME.

all the best dude.

BME department is great. Ranked in top 20 in the United States. Faculty is doing some really interesting stuff. Professor Liu is from Stanford and his research in optics is really cool. I would recommend it, but personally I can't stand the depressing environment and that is why I am headed to Toronto for my graduate studies in BME.

all the best dude.

It sounds exciting, I suppose Professor Liu probably would be my prospective boss since my fund seems provided by him.

Comparing to the undergraduate life, graduate students' life is much more boring. However, it seems good for the researches hopefully.

By the way, engin33r ,are you a domestic student or international student?

I am an international student and know little about real life in U.S. universities. I hope you can tell me something about Stony Brook. Thank you!

i am a domestic

ya id suggest traveling to nyc downtown since its much more lively

stony brook itself is a dead city...without a car its gonna really get depressing in my opinion. id recommend buying a car with ur stipend if u can

dont know much else abt stony since i am from buffalo

hope that helped

liu is a great professor

i am a domestic

ya id suggest traveling to nyc downtown since its much more lively

stony brook itself is a dead city...without a car its gonna really get depressing in my opinion. id recommend buying a car with ur stipend if u can

dont know much else abt stony since i am from buffalo

hope that helped

liu is a great professor

Car is a necessity in U.S.no matter where you are, I absolutely agree with you . I am going to buy a second hand one in first semester.

I have thought you are from Stony Brook since your profile shows Stony Brook BME department. But how do you know Prof. Liu by the way?

Edited by totoro