Acceptance??

jordanami

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering who has heard and from which schools. I am having a hard time with the suspense. My first school said I will hear from them "the first week of March" and it is getting harder and harder to wait.

Also, does anyone have any info about the likelihood of receiving funding if applying after the priority deadline. My stats are pretty good, 1500, 4.0 grad, 3.3 UG, so I think I might be a good candidate for funding, but I missed a couple of priority deadlines. I'm wondering if I should apply anyway, just in case. I really want to go to a school with some funding, so if there is no chance I might get it, I tend to think I don't even want to spend the money on the app fee, but I just have the feeling those might be somewhat soft deadlines.

Thanks for your help!

Here are the PhD programs I applied to and my results so far... (all the definite info is posted on the Results board)

• Harvard SPH Biological Sciences in Public Health (BPH)- Reject letter last week
  • University of Washington SPH Pathobiology- Reject email this past Monday
  • Wadsworth Biomedical Sciences (SUNY Albany SPH)- Interviewed Feb 17-18, adcom meeting TODAY (This is killing me! I've had lots of really positive hints from profs about admission and a fellowship but couldn't sleep last night and when I did, had dreams of getting rejected. My heart stops every time a new email comes in...)
  • Berkeley SPH Infectious Disease and Immunity- I haven't heard anything, except confirmation they received my app. Have seen interview invites and rejections on Results but have received neither. In application purgatory.
  • Pittsburgh GSPH Infectious Disease and Microbiology- I haven't heard anything, except confirmation they received my app. Website says accepted candidates will be notified mid-February (do not interview). One reject after inquiry posted in Results. Heard they are accepting way fewer than usual this year due to $ problems. Still holding out a tiny bit of hope, but not much...

Hopefully I'll get good news from Wadsworth today, which I LOVED when I interviewed. Once I have an acceptance in hand, I'll call/email Berkeley and Pitt to see what's up. Just don't have the heart to call and probably get bad news until I have an acceptance elsewhere. Will keep all posted on what I hear from those programs. Seems like all the programs got significantly more/better applicants than usual for fewer than usual spots....What a year to apply!

Good luck to us all!

My best friend from high school went to SUNY Albany for biomedical research, PhD. She works at NIH now, it seems like she's doing really well. Good luck!

Here are the PhD programs I applied to and my results so far... (all the definite info is posted on the Results board)

• Harvard SPH Biological Sciences in Public Health (BPH)- Reject letter last week
  • University of Washington SPH Pathobiology- Reject email this past Monday
  • Wadsworth Biomedical Sciences (SUNY Albany SPH)- Interviewed Feb 17-18, adcom meeting TODAY (This is killing me! I've had lots of really positive hints from profs about admission and a fellowship but couldn't sleep last night and when I did, had dreams of getting rejected. My heart stops every time a new email comes in...)
  • Berkeley SPH Infectious Disease and Immunity- I haven't heard anything, except confirmation they received my app. Have seen interview invites and rejections on Results but have received neither. In application purgatory.
  • Pittsburgh GSPH Infectious Disease and Microbiology- I haven't heard anything, except confirmation they received my app. Website says accepted candidates will be notified mid-February (do not interview). One reject after inquiry posted in Results. Heard they are accepting way fewer than usual this year due to $ problems. Still holding out a tiny bit of hope, but not much...

Hopefully I'll get good news from Wadsworth today, which I LOVED when I interviewed. Once I have an acceptance in hand, I'll call/email Berkeley and Pitt to see what's up. Just don't have the heart to call and probably get bad news until I have an acceptance elsewhere. Will keep all posted on what I hear from those programs. Seems like all the programs got significantly more/better applicants than usual for fewer than usual spots....What a year to apply!

Good luck to us all!

Good to hear! I was super impressed when I visited and am kind of shocked that no one really knows about it. My guess is that it's because it's based at the state health department, not the school so it exists outside of most academic circles...

Accepted to UAlbany/Wadsworth BMS with fellowship. Wait listed for Pitt IDM, in response to inquiry. Rejected from Berkeley IDI, in response to inquiry.

Trying to decide if I should visit Pitt and/or wait till close to April 15th to see if I get in, or just accept Albany now since I loved it and the funding is decent....

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on your acceptance! Would visiting Pitt BEFORE you hear anything perhaps improve your chances -- shows your interest? However, if you loved Albany, I'd say, "Go For It!"

• 2 weeks later...