Dilemma Choosing Schools: Emory Vs UNC

laurend

So here is my issue.

I am between two schools for my PhD, Emory and UNC Chapel Hill. Both have good, strong research. The work at UNC corresponds more closely with what I am doing now and my long term interests, but I know I can apply the skills I learn at Emory to my preferred work later on.

Originally, I thought I would choose Emory because they offer more teaching and grant writing preparation, so I thought I should go to the school that would best prepare me for my future. Also, I felt a good vibe from the students there, very high satisfaction.

UNC however was a VERY close second. Then, I got an email from UNC offering me more money. ARGH! Now what? It isn't tooo much, but enough to give me pause. Plus their stipend is higher in general, and they give a moving stipend which is helpful.

I don't know if I should mention this to Emory to see if they will give me more money (seems weird to me to do that), but the money makes it really tempting. I am in the process of getting more information about teaching and grant writing etc for UNC. I figure if that information comes through at UNC then the programs are about even and I can take the money, but its so hard to turn down extra money, especially when I am planning on getting married in July.

Thoughts? What would you do if you were me?

So here is my issue.

I am between two schools for my PhD, Emory and UNC Chapel Hill. Both have good, strong research. The work at UNC corresponds more closely with what I am doing now and my long term interests, but I know I can apply the skills I learn at Emory to my preferred work later on.

Originally, I thought I would choose Emory because they offer more teaching and grant writing preparation, so I thought I should go to the school that would best prepare me for my future. Also, I felt a good vibe from the students there, very high satisfaction.

UNC however was a VERY close second. Then, I got an email from UNC offering me more money. ARGH! Now what? It isn't tooo much, but enough to give me pause. Plus their stipend is higher in general, and they give a moving stipend which is helpful.

I don't know if I should mention this to Emory to see if they will give me more money (seems weird to me to do that), but the money makes it really tempting. I am in the process of getting more information about teaching and grant writing etc for UNC. I figure if that information comes through at UNC then the programs are about even and I can take the money, but its so hard to turn down extra money, especially when I am planning on getting married in July.

Thoughts? What would you do if you were me?

I'd much rather live in Chapel Hill than Atlanta. MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH rather. Don't forget to take that into account at some level.

Yah I have and I like CHapel Hill a lot, but I like the surrounding burbs of altanta as well. Plus, my fiancee and I have family there and it will be easier for him to find work there.