What are my Odds: Candidate Profile

rf2e

I can't take the wait! It's driving me mad! So, let's kill some time with speculation, and in the near future, I will tell you how right you were :-P

My Applicant Profile:

Undergrad: Top 20 National University; Majors: English Language and International Relations, minor: Middle East Studies; Overall GPA: 3.52 (trend upward); Majors GPA: 3.7

GRE: 690 Verbal (97%); 680 Quant (66%); AWA: 5

Work Experience: 4 years, including a media internship and job at 2 top national newspapers, and work experience reporting in 2 countries outside the US

Languages: 3; 2 fluently with work experience in both; 13 years living abroad

Quant: C in Macro econ, and never took Micro :( but have gotten only A's in several math and computer courses

I want to know what you think my chances are at Columbia SIPA MIA; Johns Hopkins SAIS; Georgetown SFS; and GW Elliott

I got a call that I am being considered for scholarship at NYU joint MA in IR and Journalism program, but the rest remain a torturous mystery...

I can't take the wait! It's driving me mad! So, let's kill some time with speculation, and in the near future, I will tell you how right you were :-P

My Applicant Profile:

Undergrad: Top 20 National University; Majors: English Language and International Relations, minor: Middle East Studies; Overall GPA: 3.52 (trend upward); Majors GPA: 3.7

GRE: 690 Verbal (97%); 680 Quant (66%); AWA: 5

Work Experience: 4 years, including a media internship and job at 2 top national newspapers, and work experience reporting in 2 countries outside the US

Languages: 3; 2 fluently with work experience in both; 13 years living abroad

Quant: C in Macro econ, and never took Micro :( but have gotten only A's in several math and computer courses

I want to know what you think my chances are at Columbia SIPA MIA; Johns Hopkins SAIS; Georgetown SFS; and GW Elliott

I got a call that I am being considered for scholarship at NYU joint MA in IR and Journalism program, but the rest remain a torturous mystery...

It is pretty important to have both Macro AND Micro for SAIS, SFS, and Elliott - actually sort of required. From my understanding, if you are admitted to one of these programs with a deficiency in either Micro or Macro, you must make it up before enrollment in the fall.

It is pretty important to have both Macro AND Micro for SAIS, SFS, and Elliott - actually sort of required. From my understanding, if you are admitted to one of these programs with a deficiency in either Micro or Macro, you must make it up before enrollment in the fall.

Micro and Macro are 100% required at SAIS and SFS, but you can still be admitted with the provision that you take either course(s) before you start.

I received an email from the Elliot School that basically said I could still be admitted if I showed proficiency in math ability elsewhere - so it's not 100% required for admission to Elliot. I ended up choosing MPP programs over IR/IP because I thought the econ requirements would damage my hopes for IR/IP courses. I had limited money with which to apply so I had to be quite selective in my degree choices.

Your math scores don't look incredible though, so you may have to provide further evidence or retake/take courses in micro and macro econ. I would guess conditional offers to most schools and then for SIPA - probably a straight admit given your experience. They don't seem to be so picky over particular qualifications and give merit to an application as a whole.

SAIS is very econ-centric so you may have trouble there....

Thank you so much for your feedback, everybody!

I definitely agree and am aware that my application's weakness is in econ coursework, of which I basically have none. I have spoken to the schools about this, so in case you're curious, SFS said they admit at least 30% every year who have not yet met the econ requirement, and SAIS said they admit 20% conditionally. GW's econ rule is not hard and fast, as I think someone else mentioned. I noted in all my applications that I would complete the required econ coursework prior to enrolling -- so I don't know if this helps ease my deficiency!

The funny thing is, I now want to study econ and I wrote a very econ-centric SOP. I was just too much a fool to realize its importance in undergrad!!

Edited by rf2e