EE PhD vs Job

SamiurRahman

So I have kind of a dilemma at this point. I got a great job offer from Amazon, but I still want to go to Grad School. My top choices (MIT, Stanford, Berkeley) have already rejected me. I have a good funding offer from Virginia Tech (which is great in my research area, Wireless Comms), and have received admits so far without funding notifications from UCSB and Purdue. Out of the schools I have not yet heard from, UCLA, UIUC, Caltech and USC would be my top choices. I have to let Amazon know by next Friday. Currently I'm leaning towards Amazon if I don't hear from other schools from there (mainly because Seattle is much better than middle-of-nowhere Virginia and location is a big factor for me).

What do you guys think?

You can try to deffer your admissions and take a term or year off. I'm not sure that works.

I have a job at the moment. If I don't get funding, I'll try to deffer my admissions for a year to pay off some debts and save some money for tuition. Otherwise, I'll just stick with my job for another year or two and reapply for PhD.

It's kind of hard to answer this question for you, since I don't have any idea what your life goals are.

Tech is definitely a good school for wireless comms, and that part of Virginia is absolutely beautiful. You might learn to love it. Plus, living in a smaller town for your Ph.D. program means fewer distractions.

Why don't you call to the admission offices of these schools and let them know what the situation is. I am pretty sure that if you explain them what's going on, they will let you know if a decision has already been taken for your application. This way you will have a better perception of what your options are.

So I have kind of a dilemma at this point. I got a great job offer from Amazon, but I still want to go to Grad School. My top choices (MIT, Stanford, Berkeley) have already rejected me. I have a good funding offer from Virginia Tech (which is great in my research area, Wireless Comms), and have received admits so far without funding notifications from UCSB and Purdue. Out of the schools I have not yet heard from, UCLA, UIUC, Caltech and USC would be my top choices. I have to let Amazon know by next Friday. Currently I'm leaning towards Amazon if I don't hear from other schools from there (mainly because Seattle is much better than middle-of-nowhere Virginia and location is a big factor for me).

What do you guys think?

False. I can think of several schools other than Georgia Tech that are known as Tech, at least regionally.

Maybe regionally, but not globally. I know for sure VT, Florida Tech and Texas Tech are not known as Tech globally. Anyway this is irrelevant so I won't say anymore.