DOE CSGF 2011

ppazaza

Mass rejects sent out I guess. Won't give any specifics about why they didn't like my application, though. How am I supposed to apply again next year if I don't know what I did wrong the first time around?

Mass rejects sent out I guess. Won't give any specifics about why they didn't like my application, though. How am I supposed to apply again next year if I don't know what I did wrong the first time around?

It's not about what you did wrong, but rather that someone's application looked better than yours (GPA, number of publications, letters of recommendation, etc. etc. etc.). Your best bet in the coming year is to work as hard as you can to make your application stronger, especially gearing your research goals toward things the DOE is interested in sponsoring.

It's not about what you did wrong, but rather that someone's application looked better than yours (GPA, number of publications, letters of recommendation, etc. etc. etc.). Your best bet in the coming year is to work as hard as you can to make your application stronger, especially gearing your research goals toward things the DOE is interested in sponsoring.

It may not have been something that I did "wrong" per say, but there were obviously some weaknesses in my application that led to others being preferred over me. It would be helpful for the future to know the weakest points so I can improve on them, if possible.

From the looks of the people currently in the program, they aren't interested in funding physical science applications. My chances are slim to begin with because they probably don't deem meteorology as important a science to them as say pure mathematics or biology. Oh well.

Edited by OUWx

At least now I can stop checking my e-mail every five minutes. OUWx, which area of meteorology is your main interest? I've recently (in the past six months or so) turned my attention toward weatherization issues in electrical engineering, and it's incredible to me how much climate gets overlooked in the study of power networks. 

On 4/11/2011 at 1:30 PM, regressive said:

At least now I can stop checking my e-mail every five minutes. OUWx, which area of meteorology is your main interest? I've recently (in the past six months or so) turned my attention toward weatherization issues in electrical engineering, and it's incredible to me how much climate gets overlooked in the study of power networks. 

My research currently is in the general area of Tornadogenesis. More specifically, my computing needs are for simulation of strong-to-violent nocturnal tornadogenesis. I plan on doing a simulation of a storm, mesocyclone, tornado cyclone, and finally the tornado itself with a model of unprecedented resolution in its field. .5 to 5m in the vertical and 2 to 5m in the horizontal of a storm that's likely in excess of 60 square kilometers. I don't know if the committee appreciates the impact that these deadly storms have, and how little research has been done in isolating what most favors nocturnal events like these.

My research currently is in the general area of Tornadogenesis. More specifically, my computing needs are for simulation of strong-to-violent nocturnal tornadogenesis. I plan on doing a simulation of a storm, mesocyclone, tornado cyclone, and finally the tornado itself with a model of unprecedented resolution in its field. .5 to 5m in the vertical and 2 to 5m in the horizontal of a storm that's likely in excess of 60 square kilometers. I don't know if the committee appreciates the impact that these deadly storms have, and how little research has been done in isolating what most favors nocturnal events like these.

I think you're right that there definitely isn't enough support in this area, as it is something that will necessarily need to be analyzed with the kind of high performance computing that the CSGF supports. I can appreciate that improvements in recognizing precursors to these events has a substantial human safety impact, and I hope you can get it next year!

Did you guys get rejections by email or snail mail? I haven't gotten either yet, but snail mail might take a day or two longer to get some places.

Anyone gotten official acceptance notification yet? Some guy on twitter said he found out he was a finalist a month ago, not sure if they had effectively narrowed down their entire list by then.

Good luck to anyone who doesn't know yet, and congrats to those who get it.

I got a rejection email, which is what I assume everyone else here is referencing. I hope that you not receiving an email is a good thing, tavert !

I still haven't heard back. Has anyone else not yet received a decision?

I haven't heard yet either. I'd be surprised if I won, though. I don't really know what I want to research yet, so my essays were probably pretty vague compared to most people's.

I hope that you not receiving an email is a good thing, tavert !

Thanks! So do I, obviously. I'm already a second-year, so this is my last shot - rejected by NDSEG yesterday, and SCGF didn't happen this year (and might never happen again, who knows). Hope you guys get another chance.

Still no news here either, which I think is probably better than bad news. Very glad to hear from a couple of other people, so I know they didn't just lose my application or something similarly paranoid. We're working on a small sample size here, but hopefully those of us in the dark are mostly winners or waitlist?

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently no news WAS good news, at least potentially. I got my rejection email today, but it had this (in bold) in the letter:

Your application did very well in the review process and was in the top group of applications. We were very impressed with your credentials and saw much promise in your application and we strongly encourage you to reapply next year provided you remain eligible.

I guess there really is some sort of wait list. Just thought I'd put that out there for next year's applicants.

What I'm wondering now is if I should put this on my CV as an "honorable mention" or something. They don't ever call it that in the letter, so I feel like it might be a stretch...

Same exact thing happened to me. I sent them an email earlier since I was starting to need to plan my next semester, and they said they were waiting to see if they could get extra funding to award a few extra fellowships. Everyone who was notified of acceptance initially said yes, those of us in the dark were on a wait list. At least 2 of us were rejected off the wait list. What about you, bp2?

Good luck next year folks, doubt I'll be eligible.