Stanford Engineering vs Master of Science

structural_eng

I just got accepted into Stanford for a Master's degree in Structural Engineering at Stanford. Looking at the degree requirements it seems like a Master of Science degree typically takes a year while an Engineer's Degree takes about 2 years. I had thought the Engineer's Degree was the same thing as a Master of Engineering degree, which was what I was planning on doing, but when I looked it up it seems like it is entirely different. Apparently an Engineer's Degree is a degree halfway between a PhD and a Master of Science. Now Stanford is expensive so I would rather not spend 2 years tuition unless an Engineer's Degree is really worth it. I am going to graduate school with the goal of going back to the industry and have no interest in going for a PhD. Does anybody know if the Engineer's Degree will really help me when I work in the field and if it will help me find a job? I'm really just looking for some more information on the degree because I have only seen it at Stanford.

Thanks for any help

I just got accepted into Stanford for a Master's degree in Structural Engineering at Stanford. Looking at the degree requirements it seems like a Master of Science degree typically takes a year while an Engineer's Degree takes about 2 years. I had thought the Engineer's Degree was the same thing as a Master of Engineering degree, which was what I was planning on doing, but when I looked it up it seems like it is entirely different. Apparently an Engineer's Degree is a degree halfway between a PhD and a Master of Science. Now Stanford is expensive so I would rather not spend 2 years tuition unless an Engineer's Degree is really worth it. I am going to graduate school with the goal of going back to the industry and have no interest in going for a PhD. Does anybody know if the Engineer's Degree will really help me when I work in the field and if it will help me find a job? I'm really just looking for some more information on the degree because I have only seen it at Stanford.

Thanks for any help

i have seen quite a few schools with the engineers degree, not sure how beneficial it is though since its a fairly new degree. My advice is to just get the Masters degree, it's more well known if nothing else. Although acquiring further education might help you out in the industry.

If you don't mind me asking whats your profile for being accepted into Stanford?

Yeah I was thinking about just pursuing the Master's degree. I can try to do it in one year and save on tuition costs. It just seems like the Engineer's Degree isn't well known enough and will cost too much to be worth it even if it seems like it could be useful.

I had a 3.53 GPA and my GRE was 790Q/630V.

Thanks for the advice, anybody have or know somebody with an Engineer's Degree? Just not sure how well known it is in the industry.

Yeah I was thinking about just pursuing the Master's degree. I can try to do it in one year and save on tuition costs. It just seems like the Engineer's Degree isn't well known enough and will cost too much to be worth it even if it seems like it could be useful.

I had a 3.53 GPA and my GRE was 790Q/630V.

Thanks for the advice, anybody have or know somebody with an Engineer's Degree? Just not sure how well known it is in the industry.

Did they offer you any type of tuition reimbursement or anything? Where was your undergrad at as well? Personally, my professor has his Engineers Degree from Northeastern and was a leader in his industry before he started to pursue teaching. Not sure why he got it, but I guess with the Engineers degree all you'd need to do after is a Thesis to get your PhD.

Unless it's free, I see no point in getting it.

Not sure why he got it, but I guess with the Engineers degree all you'd need to do after is a Thesis to get your PhD.

The Engineer's degree doesn't count at all towards the PhD unfortunately. It is a terminal degree, not a stepping stone. If you want to get a PhD, you have to complete the full PhD coursework requirements of whatever institution you're attending.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you attend their visitation day? It was very informative. They basically said that hardly anyone goes for the engineering degree; they either choose the MS or the PhD. Personally, I would just get the MS if I wasn't interested in a PhD. It is 43 grand less expensive, and funding is less likely for masters students.

Wait... the engineer's degree is $43k more than the MS??!?!?!? That's insane, no wonder people dont do it.