TAMU, how difficult to get in?

Hi guys! I'm in the middle of my master in international affairs right now...considering doing a PHD in political science afterwards...TAMU is attracting me a lot. I don't see a lot of discussions regarding this college though, so I am kind of curious to ask, if anybody has heard about anything about how difficult it is to get in the PHD program in political science at TAMU?

thanks a lot guys!

TAMU is a good school that quickly building its reputation. For you interests however, it is not the best place because its main strengths lie in American, and they're not as strong in IR compared to other departments. Like I mentioned in the other thread, they don't really care about the GRE, but do expect your personal statement, your research record, and your references to be top notch.

well, I might give up TAMU, because I contacted a professor who is also a program director over there, he told me they only like accept 10% of all the applicants, and they really focus on quantitative and statistical methods, which might NOT fit me since I came from a language studies background, and I really really hate maths...

Edited by morecokesplz

well, I might give up TAMU, because I contacted a professor who is also a program director over there, he told me they only like accept 10% of all the applicants, and they really focus on quantitative and statistical methods, which might NOT fit me since I came from a language studies background, and I really really hate maths...

I don't know what you expected, but 10% is a pretty standard acceptance rate. Also, if you're going to do a Poli Sci PhD in the US, you're going to have to confront math and statistics at some level.

Hm... I might consider my plans. Math isn't really for me...I ended up doing a language major study at undergraduate was pretty much because I didn't want to take any math courses...after high school. I'm really passionate about international relations, politics, NGOs...that's why I have the intention of doing a PHD in political science.

Hm... I might consider my plans. Math isn't really for me...I ended up doing a language major study at undergraduate was pretty much because I didn't want to take any math courses...after high school. I'm really passionate about international relations, politics, NGOs...that's why I have the intention of doing a PHD in political science.

Political science is not the place for you then, the discipline has become such that lacking statistical or formal modeling skills will leave you uncompetitive in the job market.

Political science is not the place for you then, the discipline has become such that lacking statistical or formal modeling skills will leave you uncompetitive in the job market.

Could be true. I'm seriously considering if I am really suitable for PHD in Political Science too. My current master's program in international affairs is pretty professional-oriented, like many others of its kind. But I do have the desire of furthering my studies into a PHD level in this area.

Why do you want a PhD? If you want to work professionally, then you don't need a PhD. A solid MA from a good school + networking is more than enough. Only do a PhD if you want to be a researcher.

If you DO want to be a researcher, then it is in your best interest to do some math. You don't have to make it the focus of your own agenda but you will be illiterate if you don't understand basic stats. Do your ethnographic study in Peru and avoid math if that's your thing. But to really fit the resulting paper into the literature at large, you need to understand said literature (including the math part).

If you just want to continue learning (an admirable goal), then I maintain that there are more direct routes. A PhD is laden with B.S. departmental politics, disciplinary requirements, etc. If you just love studying, a library card (or a Kindle, if you prefer) should do the trick with less hassle.

Regarding your original question, I'd guess that 700+ on both sections of the GRE, 3.8+ GPA, some research experience, and a coherent statement of purpose should do the trick. Perhaps less but I'm not sure. They are really stingy with funding, I believe offers are in the 17-18k range but don't include a tuition waver, which puts you within spitting distance of a 4 figure salary when all is said and done. And it's a 12-month program, which means you aren't getting summer funding (since there isn't a summer in year-round school).

Either way, best of luck. If you do choose to do the PhD, apply widely.

Edited by Tufnel