University of Michigan vs. Brown University vs Others

HassE

Hey guys i'm a senior at a small school in Boston and I applied to 11 programs and 10 different schools, however, i'm in need of some advice.

My first acceptance letter was from George Washington University for a MSEE, I was very excited. Weeks later UMichigan's Engineering department sent me an email saying i've gotten accepted into their MSEE:Systems program and that i should be getting the full scoop in the next week or so from the grad school themselves. A day later, Brown University accepted me into their Dual Masters, MS Electrical Sciences and Computer Engineering, and their PRIME program (a engineering management-like program).

I am still waiting to hear back from:

USC - MSEE

NYU Poly - MSEE

FIU - MSEE

FIT - PhD

Michigan State - PhDEE

University of Iowa - PhDEE

Tufts - MSEE

My question is out of all the schools listed, do you think Michigan offers the best in engineering? Would their be any reason for me to go to Brown (just their engineering program) or George Washington? I'm scared since I come from a small school that the curriculum and school are going to swallow me whole with the level of competition and intensity.

The other dilemma I am faced with is the high tuition costs. I am a US Citizen and expect to receive full loans, but i'm really hoping for some type of research or teaching assistantship (have not received any yet). I know it is very slim, but what school would offer an MS student with the best chances of receiving funding some how. Since tuition is an issue, I was also thinking about applying to CCNY, the City College of New York in their Grove School of Engineering for an MSEE.

Does name recognition really have any benefit compared to the bigger better named schools like Michigan or Brown? The tuition at CUNY is about half the cost than these other schools and it seems like an attractive offer. Upon competition of this degree I will either be pursuing the industry, or applying for my PhD (Innovation-like related)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

bump

any advice guys? really having a difficult time coping with this.

Obviously, if you have to choose between two schools that both do research that is interesting to you, you should choose the school with the better reputation. However, If the decision comes down to a school with professors/research that you really like, and a school with a better reputation but less interesting research/professors I think the choice should definitely be the first school. College (as I'm sure you know) only rewards you with as much as you put into it - so finding a school where you can be intellectually stimulated the most should be the top priority.

After all, the schools reputation will likely only help you for the first few years after graduation. Once you start comparing job candidates with 5+ years of real work experience, where you went to school suddenly starts to take a back seat.

So, choose the school that you think will keep your brain the most interested. If it comes down to two schools that you think are a match for the level of your interest, choose between them based on school rankings.

Brown and Michigan both flat our rejected me for any type of assistantship, whereas I'm hoping Florida Institute of Technology is going to offer me a fellowship.

Is it really worth it to spend the 90K for a MS if i can (hopefully) get paid to do that?

According to your post you applied to FIT for a PhD though, not an MS, so your decision would depend on your eventual career goals.

Also something to think about: CUNY may have less expensive tuition but the cost of living in NYC is gonna be pretty darn high. Not enough to make up for the tuition difference, but a factor that should also weigh in to your decision if money is tight.

According to your post you applied to FIT for a PhD though, not an MS, so your decision would depend on your eventual career goals.

Also something to think about: CUNY may have less expensive tuition but the cost of living in NYC is gonna be pretty darn high. Not enough to make up for the tuition difference, but a factor that should also weigh in to your decision if money is tight.

andandand,

yes you make a good point. I applied to the PhD program at Floridatech because i felt i had better chances of admission there for that PhD program with fellowship compared to the others. I also do have aspirations to acquire a PhD, just not 100% sure yet if in EE or some hybrid mix. A Floridatech professor said they would be inviting me to their program soon, however I'm not sure if that includes any fellowships or what not. If it does, most likely i'm going there.

Is it a mistake passing up Brown and uMichigan to attend a MS and/or a PhD at FloridaTech? Would i be regretting my decision later on and just suck it up take out loans and go to either of the "well-ranked" programs?

andandand, i saw you got accepted into the PhD EE at Columbia, USC, CMU, and Berekly. When did you hear back from USC? I applied there for the MSEE, still waiting to hear back. Would you mind telling me your profile and your qualifications?

Edited by hasseye