Acceptance Offer Response Etiquette

tragicomix

I've been accepted into my 2nd choice school after an interview. I'm super excited but I'd like to wait for the decision from the my first choice school before accepting the offer.

Before I received the e-mail, I had a telephonic chat with a prof from this school. Towards the end of the chat, the prof said he hoped that "I would consider their offer seriously." Obviously, I'm quite keen on going to the school, but I don't want to commit to anything right now.

So, my question is, what would be right response in this situation? Should I just send a short note thanking them for their offer? I'm not sure what else I can add besides saying that I'm really keen on their program - something which I already the prof during the interview. Is it ok to not respond at all?

Also, the offer has been cc'd to three profs, should I reply to all of them?

I would respond by saying that you are strongly considering their offer and are honored to receive it. I would also politely ask what their deadline is for accepting an offer (if it's funded, chances are it's April 15). I would conclude by saying that you will be getting to them as soon as you are able with a decision regarding their offer.

That way you're showing keen interest in the program/school still, but also maintaining professionalism in telling them that basically you want to wait for other potential offers. They know that you applied to more than just one program and will likely have multiple acceptances.

Best of luck!

I would send a very short e-mail, thanking for the decision, mentioning the phrase 'It is a great privilege...' blah blah. laugh.gif

You don't need to commit now and no one expects you to. I don't think it is necessary to say that you are considering that offer, implying that you have/will have others. Just 'thank you'.

So, my question is, what would be right response in this situation? Should I just send a short note thanking them for their offer?

Also, the offer has been cc'd to three profs, should I reply to all of them?

I went with replying with a short note, to most of the schools. For one school I didn't reply and I got the message forwarded to me again a couple of days later. So definitely reply in some way; thanking them for the offer should be sufficient (and, as has been said, telling them you'll let them know as soon as you do what you've decided).

As for the "reply all", I don't know what is generally considered appropriate, but my personal vote would be that a "reply all" would be fine.