Masters in development practice at florida

I just received an unofficial acceptance email from U of Florida for the Masters in Development Practice program, and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat? It is the only school I got into for MDP (korbel didnt accept anyone), and now ihave to decide whether to go a more traditional route with an IR program, or MDP.

The U of Florida website isn't too informative. While the tropical center sounds interesting, it's just tough to think about a decision when im not really that well informed on the school/program. Anyone know more than what the website says or know anyone already in the program this year?

Thanks!!

Edited by palabared

I just received an unofficial acceptance email from U of Florida for the Masters in Development Practice program, and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat? It is the only school I got into for MDP (korbel didnt accept anyone), and now ihave to decide whether to go a more traditional route with an IR program, or MDP.

The U of Florida website isn't too informative. While the tropical center sounds interesting, it's just tough to think about a decision when im not really that well informed on the school/program. Anyone know more than what the website says or know anyone already in the program this year?

Thanks!!

I don't know about the program itself, but I would steer you away from generic development programs. You'd be better off getting subject matter expertise (unless you're going to one of the top schools for a development-focused MPA). If you have any interest in agriculture, U Florida is somewhat well known for agriculture in the developing world (although Michigan State and UC Davis are the leaders in that field). Ag is a hot area in development right now - you'd have a good chance of getting a job after graduating if you had an ag econ / agronomy degree and good international work experience.

If you were deadset on this program, I would recommend networking and taking as many electives as possible at the school of agriculture.

Thanks!!

I have applied to MDP programs also, but I am probably attending a school that offers the MPA with a concentration in development. The MDP at Florida is heavily focused on agriculture/environment. So, it is probably for people who really want to focus on agricultural development specifically.

What are your other options?

Well i studied agricultural business in undergrad, so I would definitely obtain the certificate with the tropical studies center. But I am not really sure as to the quality of the main focus MDP education with a prior cohort of only 11, and this being only the 2nd year that the program has been running. I don't have much prior experience in agriculture, more in social housing so that doesn't really help. In terms of options, ive been admitted to the maxwell MAiR program, and waiting on UCSDs IRPS program. Thanks for the info!