To call or not to call

FutureSLP

I was accepted into a master's program, but did not receive any funding offers with my letter of acceptance. Judging from these boards, funding letters could come a couple weeks later. This particular school has received a couple of federal grants that allow them to cover at least half of their incoming MA students in my field, but I'm not sure on when they will let students know if they are qualified to apply for these grants (it's a separate application process; the faculty choose which students in the incoming class they want to fill out the application).

Would it be okay to call the head of the department to ask when I might hear about funding (or give me a funding timeline)? Or would that seem pushy and I should just wait it out for a few more weeks? Would it be okay to ask if I can contact the grant coordinator directly to find out more about what it entails, and hopefully get some face time with the faculty to potentially raise my chances of getting selected to apply for it?

I want to start figuring out how to finance my studies, but don't want to appear impatient.

I was accepted into a master's program, but did not receive any funding offers with my letter of acceptance. Judging from these boards, funding letters could come a couple weeks later. This particular school has received a couple of federal grants that allow them to cover at least half of their incoming MA students in my field, but I'm not sure on when they will let students know if they are qualified to apply for these grants (it's a separate application process; the faculty choose which students in the incoming class they want to fill out the application).

Would it be okay to call the head of the department to ask when I might hear about funding (or give me a funding timeline)? Or would that seem pushy and I should just wait it out for a few more weeks? Would it be okay to ask if I can contact the grant coordinator directly to find out more about what it entails, and hopefully get some face time with the faculty to potentially raise my chances of getting selected to apply for it?

I want to start figuring out how to finance my studies, but don't want to appear impatient.

I say the sooner the better. Remember, at this point "they want you" so they shoud be as accomodating as possible to provide you with all the information you need to make the best decision. I would ask the question about when I can expect to hear something definitive about funding first and then hear what they say. I doubt they will say, "well I have no idea about your funding options", which in that case you could offer to call the grant coordinator. So wait to hear what they say first. Also, let them know straight up that funding is a big factor in your decision (I am typing this assuming you havent already accepted yet). Good luck!

I say the sooner the better. Remember, at this point "they want you" so they shoud be as accomodating as possible to provide you with all the information you need to make the best decision. I would ask the question about when I can expect to hear something definitive about funding first and then hear what they say. I doubt they will say, "well I have no idea about your funding options", which in that case you could offer to call the grant coordinator. So wait to hear what they say first. Also, let them know straight up that funding is a big factor in your decision (I am typing this assuming you havent already accepted yet). Good luck!

I sent the professor an email saying that attending would be difficult, if not impossible, without funding. Then I followed up 2 weeks after the email was sent.. For the record, no progress has been made, but at least he knows I am interested and concerned.

I don't think it's pushy at all to ever request more information about stuff like that. but i would do it via email.

Thank for the advice! I received my acceptance via e-mail and phone. I should probably wait for the official letter in the mail before calling to inquire about funding, right? I was told it would be here sometime this week.

If you don't have any pending decisions and think you can handle waiting, sure. But if you are dying to know I don't think it would hurt to email them. No one is going to retract an offer because you seemed to eager. And I would imagine pretty much everyone would understand; we've all been there. But emailing someone allows them to answer your question on their time.

Thank for the advice! I received my acceptance via e-mail and phone. I should probably wait for the official letter in the mail before calling to inquire about funding, right? I was told it would be here sometime this week.