Waitlist vs. Alternate

bamba

Does anybody know the difference between being an alternate (no interview) and waitlisted (post interview)?

Thanks!

I think it comes to the same thing. They have made offers to other people, and you are above the bar for admission to the program but for whatever reason not their very top choice. You will get an offer if enough others decline. Good luck!

(...Unless I am reading your post wrong. In the "alternate" case, were other people interviewed? I was assuming not. I don't think I have ever heard of a program that doesn't interview people it is thinking of putting on the waitlist. Not to say that that doesn't happen, but I personally have no experience with it.)

• 11 months later...

I've received an alternative(no interview) from Marquette University:

"

Your application for admission to the masters in counseling program has been carefully reviewed by the department faculty. Admission decisions are based on the strength of each applicant’s academic record, including test scores, letters of recommendation, and all other required credentials, as well as the fit between your interests and our faculty areas of expertise.

Each year we receive a number of highly qualified applicants, forcing us to make some very difficult admission decisions. At this time, we have identified you as an alternate for our interview process. This decision simply means that we are holding on any final decision regarding your application at this time. Should we continue to have openings in our masters program after April 15th, 2012, we will give your file further review at that time. We expect to have all decisions finalized by May 1st, 2012.

If you would like to be considered for admission at a later date, please complete and submit a new application form at that time. The Graduate School will keep your admission credentials (e.g., transcripts, test scores) on file for one year. Be assured that our current decision will not prejudice any future determinations.

We do appreciate your interest in Marquette and in our program. If you wish to be removed from our alternate list, please contact Coreen Bukowski regarding this decision, at xxxxx@xxx.com

"

Edited by kind03cn

I don't think I have ever heard of a program that doesn't interview people it is thinking of putting on the waitlist. Not to say that that doesn't happen, but I personally have no experience with it.)

I was was wait listed at Kansas with no interview. Also, two years ago, I was wait listed at Delaware also with no interview. So it does happen.