Duke MPP

Yeah, same here. Did they give you an assistantship?

Well it's mentioned in the admission letter that 2-year MPP students complete their asistantship during spring semester (Jan-Apr) which pays $1000/month. So I guess that makes the funding $9000 in total for the fist year? The fellowship is also renewable given satisfactory academic standing... How about you?

Well it's mentioned in the admission letter that 2-year MPP students complete their asistantship during spring semester (Jan-Apr) which pays $1000/month. So I guess that makes the funding $9000 in total for the fist year? The fellowship is also renewable given satisfactory academic standing... How about you?

I got the same thing. Even though the expenses they list on their site are frankly overstated, it's difficult to swallow that kind of debt.

Congrats to everyone who received a positive response!

I was surprised to be offered an almost full tuition fellowship. With the $4,000 assistantship, that's quite a bit of money. It really eases some of my worries about taking out massive amounts of loans when I want to continue working in the (low-paying) public sector.

Edited by IKB

I was surprised to be offered an almost full tuition fellowship. With the $4,000 assistantship, that's quite a bit of money. It really eases some of my worries about taking out massive amounts of loans when I want to continue working in the (low-paying) public sector.

Same for me. Duke was kind of a reach school for me, so I am very surprised to be accepted with almost full tuition fellowship as well :)

Congrats to all who got in!

Is anyone going to the open house? it's too soon and too far for me (I live on the other side of the country)

Edited by foodlover28

What were your metrics?

Same for me. Duke was kind of a reach school for me, so I am very surprised to be accepted with almost full tuition fellowship as well :)

Is anyone going to the open house? it's too soon and too far for me (I live on the other side of the country)

Annnddd what were your metrics?

Annnddd what were your metrics?

800q/660v/4aw (I know, the 4 was a bit surprising...) ; 2 years of work in econ analysis by time this summer, lots of volunteer throughout college & post colleg; my work exp isn't as impressive, but I did a lot of research with different professors and did very well as an undergrad

Edited by foodlover28

They only said it's 3.25 right? Didn't provide any details about that...like if we're getting reimbursements for air fare and such

They only said it's 3.25 right? Didn't provide any details about that...like if we're getting reimbursements for air fare and such

that's right. I wonder if they'll send us an agenda.

In the past though, people who went to the OH liked it and got a good vibe.

I would really like to attend the open house but it's a bit of a stretch coming from CA. I know I would love the school but I would prefer to see what Durham is like before committing.

I am in almost the same boat- with Duke,CMU, and U Maryland? Which are you leaning towards? Were you accepted into the Heinz DC track?

Admitted with $14k fellowship/assistantship. Excited about the acceptance but at this point, with a full tuition offer from USC and 24k from CMU, I can't justify going into so much debt for Duke. Ah well. Congrats to everyone who got in!!!

I am in almost the same boat- with Duke,CMU, and U Maryland? Which are you leaning towards? Were you accepted into the Heinz DC track?

Yes to the Heinz DC track! You?? Definitely ruling out Duke. Even though USC gave me full tuition, with living costs being so much higher in Los Angeles and a possible paid apprenticeship in DC for the 2nd year with CMU, they are neck and neck. I'm hoping Michigan can break the tie by offering me loads and loads of money but I'm not super optimistic ha. Unfortunately, I'm living abroad right now so I won't be able to attend any of the open houses which could have made my decision easier. Sigh. How about you? What do you think will tip the balance, program fit or money?? Are you still waiting on any other schools?

What were your metrics?

Benefactor,

Though I feel slightly uncomfortable going into great detail about my background on a public forum, I can tell you that my quantitative, verbal and analytic GRE scores were all above the 90th percentile, my undergrad GPA was 4.0, and I have 3 years of full time public service work experience and 3 years of study/research/work abroad relevant to my field of interest. However, I also have some perceived weaknesses, including an unrelated primary undergraduate major and a lack of economics/statistics classes. I tried to mitigate these weaknesses by focusing on my high quantitative GRE and strong performance in calculus classes. So far that strategy seems to be working for me. Good luck to you!

I called to ask the admissions office about the open house on the 25th... they said that they'll be sending out an itinerary and registration information later today.

The event is going to run all day (from 8:30 am until after 6:00 pm) so I guess flying in an out on the same day is impossible. Kind of annoying, but it seems like the on-campus admitted students' events are worthwhile.