Withdrawing after accepting

So, my wife and I have just received some very bad family news, which may force us to have to stay where we are for the near future. The problem is that I just accepted an offer to the University of Illinois for the Fall semester. I very much want to go to the school, but I just don't think it will be possible now. Does anyone have any insight into the ramifications of withdrawing my application after accepting, both on future application to the school or other schools (poly sci is a small world). Or, is it common practice to ask to defer entry by a year, and what issues can/should I expect if I do ask such a thing? Will they say, sorry, this is your one shot, take it or leave it. I don't want to burn any bridges.

I deferred for a year and it was very simple and non-controversial. I certainly don't think withdrawing will hurt you with other schools and, even if you don't get the deferral, it probably wouldn't hurt you with Illinois as long as you explain that you have a serious family issue.

Sorry to hear about the bad news.

It's really going to depend on your program. Many will allow you to take a leave of absence and place everything on hold for a year if necessary, but since you'd be an incoming student they might not allow you to defer/withdraw without having to reapply again the next year. As far as I know, it's not very common to do successfully put your first year on hold; I assume it's because many people will choose a school and be unsure, and try to hold onto other offers.

I don't think it will weigh poorly on you, with this school or any other, so long as it is handled well. I think the best thing to do is to make absolutely sure of what you're going to do, and let the school know as soon as possible. Keep in touch with any faculty contacts you've made, as they may remember you if you need to reapply next year.

Best of luck.

tidefan

sorry to hear about the bad family news. i would contact illinois and talk to maybe the DGS in the department or any profs you've communicated with. explain the situation to them. while some places don't let you defer, if this is an unusual situation (which it obviously is, given your enthusiasm to go the illinois), i'm sure they'd be considerate. hope it works out.

Tidefan, even though this is completely dumb, I do feel like your situation hits close to home since we have talked about UIUC and you clearly deserved your spot. You do just need to call and pretty much say exactly what you said to us, and ask if there is any way to defer. Their departmental page also might talk about it, but I do not specifically remember their page saying anything.

Thanks guys. I am discussing options with my wife right now. It may be that I have to go by myself for the first semester or two, which would SUCK, but it might be the only way to do it. I will let yall know what we decide.