missouri v carnegie

ok29

have phd offer from missouri (waiting on funding) vs. 1/2 tuition + ta ship from carnegie mellon. want to do decision and rational choice theory. any relevant thoughts/ observations or anecdotes of either program are greatly appreciated.

I would definitely choose Carnegie. They have a great program and Pittsburgh is a great place to study philosophy! There are 3 great schools (Carnegie, Pitt, Duquesne) all with grad programs in the city, and you can easily sit in on classes offered by other programs etc. In addition, the cost of living in Pittsburgh is very low despite the fact that it is a decent sized city. Hope this helps!

have phd offer from missouri (waiting on funding) vs. 1/2 tuition + ta ship from carnegie mellon. want to do decision and rational choice theory. any relevant thoughts/ observations or anecdotes of either program are greatly appreciated.

I can't cuz I'm not in the US. would you mind letting me know what you thought of the place if you do visit?

Yeah I am visiting soon, so I will let you know. I have been in touch with one professor who does decision theory there (even though that's not my area) and he seems really cool.

Also, Carnegie is ranked higher on philosophical gourmet, but if you get a good funding package at Missouri that makes the choice way more difficult. If taking out some loans to go to Carnegie is no big deal for you, then go for it! But if you get a good offer at Missouri (where cost of living is very low, by the way) then I would say it might be a good idea to go there. Plus you can always transfer out later.

Also, Carnegie is ranked higher on philosophical gourmet, but if you get a good funding package at Missouri that makes the choice way more difficult. If taking out some loans to go to Carnegie is no big deal for you, then go for it! But if you get a good offer at Missouri (where cost of living is very low, by the way) then I would say it might be a good idea to go there. Plus you can always transfer out later.

cheers lanaa appreciate. yeah that's the conundrum I'm in. If I get a good funding offer from missouri then the choice is much harder to make. Haven't heard anything from them yet. do you know what their standard ta ship stipend is?

I applied to missouri as a safety mainly because of Weirich. At the same time cmu have a couple of people doing rational choice and they're very strong in logic and epistemology (secondary interests). I am not too worried about the lack of breadth at CMU cuz you can take courses at pittsburgh as philosophile mentioned. the cost of living issue seems to cancel out since pittsburgh also has a low cost of living (relatively speaking) and is a much bigger place than columbia so more to do. plus it's not in the middle of nowhere. Let's see. I should get in touch with missouri soon for those on the waiting list.

• 5 weeks later...

what did you decide to do?

cheers lanaa appreciate. yeah that's the conundrum I'm in. If I get a good funding offer from missouri then the choice is much harder to make. Haven't heard anything from them yet. do you know what their standard ta ship stipend is?

I applied to missouri as a safety mainly because of Weirich. At the same time cmu have a couple of people doing rational choice and they're very strong in logic and epistemology (secondary interests). I am not too worried about the lack of breadth at CMU cuz you can take courses at pittsburgh as philosophile mentioned. the cost of living issue seems to cancel out since pittsburgh also has a low cost of living (relatively speaking) and is a much bigger place than columbia so more to do. plus it's not in the middle of nowhere. Let's see. I should get in touch with missouri soon for those on the waiting list.

Hey sorry I didn't mention this earlier. I ended up accepting Carnegie's offer after finding out I was on the waitlist at missouri. the irony heh. But I think it's worked out well. To any waiting on missouri. I let missouri know a few weeks ago now, so if you're on the waitlist you're definitely one place higher. Good luck to all

what did you decide to do?

Hey sorry I didn't mention this earlier. I ended up accepting Carnegie's offer after finding out I was on the waitlist at missouri. the irony heh. But I think it's worked out well. To any waiting on missouri. I let missouri know a few weeks ago now, so if you're on the waitlist you're definitely one place higher. Good luck to all