Dilemma

Well, I've reached an impasse...

I'm calling on folks who know more than me to help me sort out this situation. Bear in mind that I know almost nothing about the applications process.

I recently applied to four schools for a master's degree in library sciences: McGill, Mizzou, Austen, and Madison. McGill responded almost immediately, offering me admission with absolutely no funding. I don't want to badmouth my former #1 choice, but McGill is absurdly expensive...there is no way I can afford 15,000 a year plus living expenses in Montreal...even the 300 dollar acceptance fee is intimidating for someone in my financial situation.

So now I'm in a bind: They require that I accept them by March 18th, way, way, before any of my other schools will accept or deny me. I know nothing about my chances at the other schools, and the departments haven't exactly been forthcoming when I wrote them for information.

If I turn down McGill, I need to know that I have a good chance of getting into one of these other schools with decent funding. I posted a brief summary of my scores and other garbage at the end of this post. I really hate how that determines funding, but it looks like it does.

Please assist, I really need a place to go. :rolleyes:

GRE: 720V/680 Q, GPA 3.3, Double major in Communications and history, currently employed as a teacher and freelance writer/researcher. Previous internship at a historical archives.

I wasn't offered funding at any of the schools I applied to, and I don't actually know anyone that receives any money from the department as a masters student in library science (info science I know a few that receive a little bit). This includes people with awesome GPAs, GREs and previous graduate degrees. It was my understanding that funding isn't really likely in a professional program. Everyone is on loans, their libraries pay for it, or they are paying for it by working outside of libraries. The department does offer 7 or 8 some small (like 1,000 to 5,000) scholarships. If you are male or a minority there's lots more available for you than white females.

If you can't afford it you can't afford it. The rule of thumb around here is to only take out loans for the same amount as a years salary once you graduate. Combined with my undergrad debt I'm pushing it, but I'm young and don't have any other financial obligations. Could you come up with a plan b for a year? Work part time school part time? Opt for an online program?

From the librarians/archivists I've worked with and taken classes with the name brand of the school matters way less than your work experience as long as the school is ALA accredited. I'm at the cheapest school I could get into (yay instate tuition).

Sorry I couldn't be more optimistic for you.

I suppose the silliness is on my end...I never looked at tuition rates before I applied to these schools. I never would have believed it cost this much. Especially for a library science degree. It's not like our jobs will be high paying or easily available.

Is it worth it? I'm really not sure anymore.

I suppose the silliness is on my end...I never looked at tuition rates before I applied to these schools. I never would have believed it cost this much. Especially for a library science degree. It's not like our jobs will be high paying or easily available.

Is it worth it? I'm really not sure anymore.

Obviously, this is something that you have to answer for yourself. If you really want to do this job, then yes - it is worth it. If you aren't sure if you want it, and just thought it might be pleasant, or if you just want a degree, then no... it isn't. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I feel that you need a real picture of what you are getting into. The job market for Librarians is tough right now. It is hard to get an interview if you don't have experience so yes, coming out of grad school with buckets of debt sucks.

If you are uncomfortable with the price tag then perhaps you should do a little research, take a year off to work and save up, and then apply to schools that are more in your affordable range. I saw your scores on the other thread and they are good enough to get you in to most programs. You might also try attending school part time, and working in a library on the side to gain employment experience and to earn money to put toward your degree.

I guess I could be considered a miser, but I feel that there is no need to pay that much money, when in the end it is the exact same degree. No matter if it comes from McGill or if it comes from Nowhere State University, either way, you come out with a piece of paper that qualifies you to work in the profession with the knowledge to back it up. The only thing that matters is that the program is accredited.

yes, everyone I've talked to agrees that the location is not important...all told then, I'm going to Mizzou or Austin...I'll wait until the last possible second (in case of early rejections) then turn McGill down.

I have already taken two years off, because I wanted to get some experience in the real world before throwing myself into academia for the rest of my life. Like library science, my current job is secure, highly competitive, and does not pay very well.

I love learning, and teaching, and I know that I would be happy in Library Science. I suppose the logistics of it are what I find overwhelming: how is it possible to work in this (amazing) job with forty thousand dollars in debt over your head? Is there some trick that I'm missing here?

Like all professional degree's Library Qualifications tend to come at a price. I too was stunned by McGills fees when I checked. It was lucky that UBC was my only consideration as the Fee for me would be qquite low as an International Student. It really depends on how badly you want to do it. Perhaps you could ask for a deferral for a year if you're working now. Give yourself the year to save and maybe do some pre-study and research other ways of funding.

From what I can gather also, fees are continually rising as it gets more diverse and competitive. The shift to IT focused LIS studies maybe partly to blame, but also universities losing funding is hardly helpiing

Edited by Weepsie