LOR question

I received my B.S. in Marine Biology (Resource Mgmt.) 4 years ago as a non-traditional student (31 y.o.), and after 3 years of seasonal employment I am hoping to return for my Ph.D. I need 3 LOR's for most institutions, 2 of which have been secured. I am planning on contacting my college advisor as my third with the dual purpose of also attaining some much-needed advice. I feel it would be better to do this in person so he can put a face to the recommendation, but I feel slightly awkward asking this since I have been removed from the school for 4 years and, in addition, only had him as an advisor for the last two. Is it improper to request a brief meeting, albeit on his time, with a professor/advisor that I was not particularly close with, especially when his primary obligation is to currrent students? Perhaps I may be overthinking it, but he would be my most accomplished reccommendation (and he's a good guy to boot) so I want to treat the situation with proper etiquette.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated

KT