AAA Annual Meeting in Montreal

UNCAnthro

I might be getting ahead of myself here, but I'm wondering if I should be registering for the AAA annual meeting in Montreal next November. The deadline to pre-register is April 15. I've just been accepted to a PhD program and I'd love to go to the annual meeting - can I assume that the costs will be covered by my department or is that not common? Will I be expected to go? I know this depends a lot from department to department, but any suggestions are welcome.

I might be getting ahead of myself here, but I'm wondering if I should be registering for the AAA annual meeting in Montreal next November. The deadline to pre-register is April 15. I've just been accepted to a PhD program and I'd love to go to the annual meeting - can I assume that the costs will be covered by my department or is that not common? Will I be expected to go? I know this depends a lot from department to department, but any suggestions are welcome.

The April 15 deadline is for people who want to present papers; otherwise you can sign up anytime you'd like. As to the cost, it depends by the program. Mine will cover everything if I'm presenting, but wont just pay for me to go. It's great to go (New Orleans this year rocked!) but not mandatory. If you can swing it, go, I learned a lot, met great people and am going again this year. If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks for the advice mate, it's good to know I have some time to decide about going. I hope to be able to go though, maybe I'll see you there.

The April 15 deadline is for people who want to present papers; otherwise you can sign up anytime you'd like. As to the cost, it depends by the program. Mine will cover everything if I'm presenting, but wont just pay for me to go. It's great to go (New Orleans this year rocked!) but not mandatory. If you can swing it, go, I learned a lot, met great people and am going again this year. If you have any questions, let me know.

Schools do vary widely in terms of what funding they can provide for conferences; my school only reimburses for conference travel if you're presenting AND are on the job market. That said, the conferences are awesome and you should definitely try to go if you can.

I'd recommend submitting a paper if you have anything decent lying around from your undergrad or MA that you haven't published yet. You only have to submit an abstract by April 15, and then you have lots of time to polish it up. I presented a paper last fall (something I'd written during my MA at a different school) and everybody at my current school was very impressed and congratulatory that I was already presenting a paper at AAA during my first semester in the PhD program! I'm definitely planning to submit something for Montreal this year.

Good luck, and maybe I'll see you in Montreal!

I am trying to submit a part of my undergrad Honors thesis I'm writing right now and I am a little bit puzzled with AAA website (that's what's called being a foreign student who is new to AAA): is it possible to submit an abstract online, that's my main question?Do you just register as a member?I would greatly appreciate it if somebody shares an experience of submitting a paper to the AAA conference!

I think you do have to be registered for the conference to submit an abstract, but you don't have to be a member. I think you might want to become a member if you are going to register though, the difference in cost between members and non-members would just about pay for your membership.

For what it's worth, I talked to my future supervisor and he advised me to wait a year to present at the AAAs and try to present as part of a session. I hope I can make it to Montreal anyways, but without funding it may be tough.

I am trying to submit a part of my undergrad Honors thesis I'm writing right now and I am a little bit puzzled with AAA website (that's what's called being a foreign student who is new to AAA): is it possible to submit an abstract online, that's my main question?Do you just register as a member?I would greatly appreciate it if somebody shares an experience of submitting a paper to the AAA conference!

hello..i know im taking this conversation a bit off track but Im in need of some advice/explanations from people who are already part of the world of anthropology which is not the case with me. I have been admitted to Northwestern's grad anthro program and although im overjoyed about it, I need to put things into perspective. To come to the very basic stuff, what is the life of a grad anthro student like? How much fieldwork is to be expected and how soon? This is obviously very program-dependent but a general idea would do.

Secondly, i have not done my undergrad in anthro and several of my program's courses mention undergrad level prerequisites..how far do u think il be required to take those prereq courses? I will be getting in touch with the department regarding this but it would be better to get a general idea beforehand. I'll be grateful for any assistance.

• 4 months later...

So, is anybody going to Montreal this year?I am currently in so much doubt about whether or not I should go. My poster presentation has been accepted, so I will be able to present, but is it really worth going since it's only the poster presentation (I am international student and I will have to run into a ton of issues with the Canadian visa (interview at the embassy required, very expensive, a lot of documents required) and Department of Homeland security when I will be returning to the US. I can figure out how to deal with all these requirements and regulations, but it is VERY difficult and my main question is basically is it really worth it (would it be beneficial when I apply to Grad School?) I would really appreciate everybody's opinions!