Not an acceptance, not a rejection...

NellieBelle

Hi all. I just received an email from my POI and was wondering if I could get some of your thoughts.

A little background--I'd been invited to interview in February, during which time my three potential advisers all gave me the unofficial thumbs-up. The head of the program (and one of my potential advisers) told me to be "optimistic" about the results, which I should be receiving in ten days.

Fast forward to now. I just received an email from the aforementioned head/potential adviser (unsolicited--I hadn't contacted him about the decision or anything). He apologized for taking longer than expected to make a decision, but that the situation has become complicated by the fact that the program has been severely limited on how many people they can let in (originally 6, but it's looking more like 2 or 3). He goes on to tell me that they "don't know for sure whether we can offer you a position" as they have already accepted two students (who are being funded from an outside source). Other faculty members have "priority" over the available slots and haven't made a decision yet; however, there is the possibility of them admitting a third into their program.

He then proceeds to ask me if I'm still interested and whether I would be willing to work with just him, instead of the three advisers we'd originally planned, as the other two are "overwhelmed" with their current grad student load.

Do I even have a shot anymore? Or is this the let-down email? I'm pretty devastated as this is not the news I was hoping to get from my top choice.

It doesn't sound like a let down email. It sounds like he's trying to gauge your interest in their school over another. He wants you, but it going to have to fight for it, and just wants to make sure you're still interested. It sounds like it could still go either way if you're in for the ride.

I agree. If this is your top choice, communicate that to this professor. He wants to be upfront - there is no guarantee and the spot would be straightforwardly to work with him. That wasn't the case when you last spoke and he wants to make sure that the new situation would still be of interest to you. If you know this is where you want to go, even with those changes, tell him. If you would seriously consider such an offer but you will need to weigh your options after receiving all offers, you can say that too. I would be honest with this professor as he is being straightforward and honest with you.

Oh! I had a prof explaining this to me the other day. She was telling me the story about how she got into her PhD program, and that because a friend was an assissant, got to hear what happened. Basically, in the politics of processes in departments like these, a professor has to be careful not to use up too many 'favors' and cause friction in the department. So, it sounds like the POI is communicating that he/she may be willing to use pull on your behalf, but doesn't want to waste it if you don't really want to be there, or there's some other factor. The thing is, if the POI pulls in favors on your behalf and you don't go, that's a time when when the future, the POI won't be able to advocate for someone or something else as easily. Quid pro quo, all that.

Thanks so much for the replies! The initial freak-out period is starting to wane. :)

That was what I'd originally thought, too, but I sent the message along to a friend of mine for his (brutally) honest opinion, and he told me that it sounds like "he is trying his best to say that you aren't getting in the program in most polite way possible."

I went ahead and emailed the professor, letting him know that I'd basically drop everything in a heartbeat to work with him (more professionally, of course). Which is the honest to god truth. I'm going to remain hopeful, but continue working toward my plan B.