Recommendation Letters

TracyDeer

Hello everyone!

I am applying for an MFA in Painting in the Fall of 2012. I graduated with a BA in 2009, and applied to three grad schools right out of college with no luck. I decided to take some time off and re-group, so here I am. :) I have thirteen schools I will apply to. I can magane the logistics that come with that, but need advice when it comes to recommendation letters from professors, etc. Is it normal to ask a professor for thirteen recommendation letters to different schools? Is there a way I can make it easier for them, for example, sending them a package of pre-stamped envelopes and such? What did you all do?

Thanks for your time and advice in advance :D

-Tracy

A couple of things from my experience:

1) Most recommendations are online, and won't need stamps or envelopes. Of course, ask your recommenders if they prefer to send in a hard copy, if that's an option. They probably won't prefer to, but it is good to offer that if it's available. If you do need to have hard copies, I would send them a package with the required forms and stamped, addressed envelopes for the appropriate schools.

2) Give them lots of notice! I sent out a request several months ahead of time, and then gave them the specific instructions regarding which schools they would be hearing from (because my list changed between the first request and the time I applied, and because I had different recommenders for different program) 2-3 months before application deadlines.

Good luck!

I had 10 schools, so I know how you feel. I prepared a very organized folder with everything all ready to go for the profs to make it as easy on them as possible. On the top, I had a list of each school (organized by due dates), whether or not the letter was electronic or paper, and whether or not the paper letter needed an accompanying form. I also included the forms (all filled out), and pre-stamped and addressed envelopes for each of the "paper" schools. This stuff was all provided very early on (In september), and then I reminded them frequently about which letters were "coming up" on due dates. It worked out well, but you have to be careful about schools which use an intermediary "third party" service, as it takes longer. So you may even want to tell them an earler due date than the actual, so you are sure to be on time. I made sure to remain in constant contact with my recommenders as well. Good luck!

Your writers will probably want to see a copy of your CV and statement of purpose/personal statement essay before they write the letter, so keep in mind you'll also need a draft of those well in advance of the actual application deadlines!

Like Amalia, I also drew up a quick "cheat sheet" for them. I listed all of the schools in order by deadline (put the deadline in bold!), with the full name of each specific program (i.e. "PhD in Cute Animal Studies, with Certificate in Baby Tigers") and maybe a quick note on unique resources or famous faculty members they might know. All of my schools requested electronic letters with no additional form, so that part was a little easier. I think only one of my letter writers actually used the cheat sheet to personalize each letter, but all three appreciated the overview of what I was looking for and why.

As for the number of schools - don't worry! Professors know this is part of the academic circle of life, and most are happy to help (seriously, I was surprised by just how helpful my academic network was once I started asking around!). Just give them plenty of advance notice, and nudge them politely if needed.

Edited by space-cat