Georgetown SSP

any of you guys decided on/leaning towards SSP going without funding? why?

I'm leaning towards it because funding isn't as big an issue. It's only a 3 semester course if you do the full courseload and the price is comparable to Fletcher even though they're giving me 11k/year. Higher living expenses are made up for by it being DC and the opportunities that presents. Hoping they'll give me some money, but still leaning there.

There's an admitted students chat that starts at 2PM ET (40 minutes from now), maybe ask then? I know during last Wednesday's chat they said they hadn't met yet to discuss merit-based aid but would do so 'this week' and that information about it would go out 'in the next week.'

cool, hope to see you guys down there if i can make it. i'm looking at the fall 2011 course listing right now, and it's really exciting! i've done a fair amount of research on Iran, so i was pleasantly surprised to see that one of the leading Iran scholars Ray Takeyh will be teaching Problems in Middle East/Persian Gulf this fall. i didn't even know he was SSP faculty, lol!

cool, hope to see you guys down there if i can make it. i'm looking at the fall 2011 course listing right now, and it's really exciting! i've done a fair amount of research on Iran, so i was pleasantly surprised to see that one of the leading Iran scholars Ray Takeyh will be teaching Problems in Middle East/Persian Gulf this fall. i didn't even know he was SSP faculty, lol!

Nice! Where did you find the up-to-date course listings? From what I can tell, they only have two classes listed so far for 2011-2012.

• 2 weeks later...

@ mikejbutera: The things about the open house that sold it for me were (in no particular order) impressive career services, a well-connected alumni network, and the diverse backgrounds of current/admitted students with whom I spoke. I met some interesting people representing prior military, DHS, State, finance/banking, tech-centered folks that majored in hard sciences, in addition to some go-getters straight out of undergrad. In the past few weeks, I've gone over all the material I could find about the program (and about SS programs in general, particularly the debate over generalist IR degrees v. a SS degree), so the presentations and powerpoint hard-sells didn't really break any new ground for me. I did, however, have reservations about the level of, I donno, pretentiousness in the program-- both within the student population and the faculty. Friendly interactions with both current students and faculty alleviated this anxiety.

@Soccergo9: Yeah, I worried about this at first as well. Not as much room for coursework as more generalist programs like MSFS or SAIS, for example. But between strategically double counting courses to free up electives and the fact that I have no plans to go beyond an MA, I'm confident that I can construct a satisfying portfolio of engaging and relevant coursework.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else starting to look for housing in DC for the SSP program? I'm about to graduate from Gettysburg College and need to find a place to live asap!

Thanks,

Jon

condraj2@gmail,com