anyone got accepted by Brown

puppykid

<P>I just got the admission via email that I was accepted Brown's PRIME program. I have always loved this Program because it is special, it is interdisciplinary. But I was also accepted by Northwestern's Engineering Design Innovation program which is also an unconventional, very new program. Now I am concerned mostly about the job opportunities upon graduation. However the infomation in that area is quite a blur. Anyone got accepted by Brown or Northwestern or simply have suggestions are welcomed to reply. Please! I understand those are two brilliant universities and I should be grateful to go to anyone of them, but they are also very expensive so I need to make the money count. I really need some advice now.</P>

Edited by puppykid

I have no idea of either program. However maybe posting this in an area where it is related to the major of the program would help. As until I goggled it I had no clue what the Brown Prime program was, even if that is a site I can admit to having spent hours skimming the computer departments of. As in this area of the forum every major is looking at it making it less likely your thread will be noticed.

Good luck. If your going on name alone I would say Brown being clueless about other factors involved. However that isn't much help.

I would go with the one where you will have the most opportunities. Graduate school is mostly what you make of it. That being said, the one that offers the greatest opportunities will give you the greatest freedom to do great things. If all else being equal, I'd go with the one with the better name. To my understanding, the name of a person's graduate school doesn't matter too often; it's the accomplishments that speak for themselves. However, sometimes name recognition does help. Big-named schools have "street cred," if you know what I mean.

I have no idea of either program. However maybe posting this in an area where it is related to the major of the program would help. As until I goggled it I had no clue what the Brown Prime program was, even if that is a site I can admit to having spent hours skimming the computer departments of. As in this area of the forum every major is looking at it making it less likely your thread will be noticed.

Good luck. If your going on name alone I would say Brown being clueless about other factors involved. However that isn't much help.

Thank you. I think these kind of programs really gets much less attention. However, there is a certain charm to it. Maybe being in china my whole life I want to get rid of the crowded feeling a little bit. Fierce competition and great pressure. Thus I prefer interdisciplinary programs. But I was worried about my future career at the same time. It is really a hard choice.

[quote name=hello! :)' timestamp='1299956049' post='220727]

I would go with the one where you will have the most opportunities. Graduate school is mostly what you make of it. That being said, the one that offers the greatest opportunities will give you the greatest freedom to do great things. If all else being equal, I'd go with the one with the better name. To my understanding, the name of a person's graduate school doesn't matter too often; it's the accomplishments that speak for themselves. However, sometimes name recognition does help. Big-named schools have "street cred," if you know what I mean.

I understand that, However I don't know how the two schools are recognized in the US or anywhere else in the world. They are all top universities, it is just that they have different specialty. It seems that Brown has bigger name, but the engineering department ranking is rather week. Maybe the small scale of the school is part of the reason. I think Brown feels like a luxury for me. I heard that people with big names and a low profile like to go to Brown. Anyway Northwestern seems like a more practical choice, but it will be hard for me to say no to either of them.

Respectfully, I disagree about your assessment of Brown's Engineering program. Their engineering department/division is becoming more and more respected every year. A degree from there will only appreciate. However, Northwestern is also a fantastic school and a decision should be reached only after talking with people in the know (professors, current/former students, etc.).

Respectfully, I disagree about your assessment of Brown's Engineering program. Their engineering department/division is becoming more and more respected every year. A degree from there will only appreciate. However, Northwestern is also a fantastic school and a decision should be reached only after talking with people in the know (professors, current/former students, etc.).

Thank you for your reply. I always think that the USNEWS ranking isn't a comprehensive way to assess a school, the public praise is of the same value. It's just that I don't have many accesses to such information. That's why I love to post here and hear your voices. Anyway I think the two programs are all new and exciting, but unstableness comes with the excitment. Anyway I think it'll be very helpful for me to find some graduates from the two programs and have an indepth understanding. But it'll still be tough for me, I really want both of the two experiences. haha.