Structural Engineering, CDI, or SDC?

structural_eng

I'm trying to decide between three major choices for Stanford graduate school right now. They range from Construction Design Integration which I'd probably get a job at a design/build firm that does Integrated Project Delivery. Sustainable Design Construction which seems like a likely job would be in Sustainable Design of buildings. And last of all Structural Engineering where I would probably go to a design firm. I have two questions. First of all between each of these choices what do you believe would pay the most? And second, which job would seem the most enjoyable or rewarding?

Thanks

I think you are better off with the SE program. In practice you could easily move into any of the three areas with that degree since it is the most technically challenging.

Tough to say which one will be most enjoyable, that is very subjective. I am in SE design and love it. I have colleagues in the other two fields and they are happy as well.

Hmm that seems like it could be a good idea. If I do Structural Engineering I will probably take as many classes as I can in either Sustainable Design or Design Construction Integration. Which of these two do you think will be more valuable in the field? Seems like Sustainable and IPD are both growing in popularity these days.

Thanks for the help!

Awesome that sounds like a great idea plus currently I'm already enrolled in SE. As far as getting LEED AP certified does it come with a normal pay raise?

And just curious what do you love about your job?

I can't wait to start working in the field

Thanks

I would not expect a pay raise. Consider it something to possibly make yourself more marketable, but not much more than that on the pay side.

There are a number of things that make it enjoyable to me... from the challenge, day to day variety, interacting with clients and other professionals, learning and growth opportunities, etc. Job satisfaction is generally high, with respect to many other fields. You will not be rich, but if you can live within your means you will certainly get by and some might even say live comfortably.