Stanford vs UIUC Mechanical Engg

abhishekj200

Hi

I have got an MS admit from Stanford ME without any financial aid and a fully funded MS offer from UIUC. Which one should I go with?

Job wise which is better considering the fact that I would be in huge debt after graduating from MS where UIUC is fully funded.

P.S. I am an international student

Hi

I have got an MS admit from Stanford ME without any financial aid and a fully funded MS offer from UIUC. Which one should I go with?

Job wise which is better considering the fact that I would be in huge debt after graduating from MS where UIUC is fully funded.

@abhishek: hey thats great news.. i'm deviating from the topic a little bit but can you please share your profile with me so that I can see if I will have any luck with my application since I have applied to both so far and have a reject from UIUC already and there has been no news so far from stanford. It would be of immense help. Thank you

on a personal note i think you should join Stanford since it is better ranked..

Hi

I would go with UIUC over Stanford on this one. UIUC is a top 5 ranked school so there's not much of an argument for Stanford being a better school. Stanford is not worth the $80k price tag, unless Stanford has certain classes you're very interested in or you prefer Stanford's location, but that's your personal preference.

Job wise I think they are on par with each other. Unless you get very lucky and meet someone at Stanford that you can work with to build a great company like Google, I don't think it's worth taking that big gamble.

Edited by brassgod

Hi

IMO: Job-wise, nobody cares which school you graduated from, not at least favoring Stanford over UIUC.

I am also inclining towards UIUC but finding it difficult to let go Stanford. I hope I would make the right decision in the end but right now I am very confused.

It is easy for us to give our opinion, but you are the one that has to live with your decision. Have you been able to visit both campuses? If not, then you should try to visit and chat with grad students and professors.

For some people, earning a degree from Stanford is self-gratifying. A year from now, will it matter to you? How about 10 years from now?

• 5 weeks later...