NYU SCPS??

Hi All, first post,

I am just about to finish undergrad with a degree in Communications. I decided to apply to graduate school, focusing on media management and global communication. So far, I received an interview from Northwestern's MSC program, and an acceptance from NYU SCPS Graphic Communciations Management and Technology. I am still waiting to hear back from several other programs.

My question concerns NYU SCPS. I am curious as to the program's reputation and whether it is appropriate for someone who has just graduated college. I know I should've done this research earlier, but at the time I was applying, my life was very hectic. So I applied to 8 programs that seemed they were what I want. I didn't really look at reputations though. I am anxiously awaiting a response from the joint Global Communications program from USC/LSE, as well as The New School.

Does anyone have any information regarding the quality of education from NYU SCPS? The more I read online, the more I get the feeling that SCPS isn't as respected as the rest of NYU...

I want to make a solid, informed decision about the masters program I join, especially before in debting myself to student loans. So any information right now, is valuable!

Hey Teevee,

Quick question(s), when did you apply to the program / hear back from them? Did you get a response via e-mail or snail-mail? Reason I ask I applied and have not heard back from them yet! Best of luck!

Hey Teevee,

Quick question(s), when did you apply to the program / hear back from them? Did you get a response via e-mail or snail-mail? Reason I ask I applied and have not heard back from them yet! Best of luck!

Hey! I got an email telling me to check the status of my application... I got the letter in the mail aweek later. I applied Jan 2nd. I am seriously having doubts now though, I've read that SCPS isn't as rigorous as the rest of NYU and basically accept everyone... I really don't know what to believe anymore, and am extremely disappointed in the application system overall :(

On the bright side I just got into The New School for media studies :)

That's awesome...congrats!! You know I've heard both good things and bad things about NYU SCPS but I think that goes for any university/program. I heard the same about my undergrad school and I'm pretty sure UC Berkeley is a damn good school haha. And so is NYU! In the end how often does one get asked, when applying to jobs, "What college within the university did you attend?" Not often it's always just the name that stands out! In the end, it's what one makes of ones experiences! I'm sure any university you end up choosing will be greatly regarded...yes some more than others and that's where I think the university name comes in.

So, have you made up your mind or you still trying to decide?

Hey! I got an email telling me to check the status of my application... I got the letter in the mail aweek later. I applied Jan 2nd. I am seriously having doubts now though, I've read that SCPS isn't as rigorous as the rest of NYU and basically accept everyone... I really don't know what to believe anymore, and am extremely disappointed in the application system overall :(

On the bright side I just got into The New School for media studies :)

Edited by andy26

That's awesome...congrats!! You know I've heard both good things and bad things about NYU SCPS but I think that goes for any university/program. I heard the same about my undergrad school and I'm pretty sure UC Berkeley is a damn good school haha. And so is NYU! In the end how often does one get asked, when applying to jobs, "What college within the university did you attend?" Not often it's always just the name that stands out! In the end, it's what one makes of ones experiences! I'm sure any university you end up choosing will be greatly regarded...yes some more than others and that's where I think the university name comes in.

So, have you made up your mind or you still trying to decide?

Andy,

I am still waiting to hear back from the joint program between USC and LSE for Global Communications. But yea, I think you are right on the whole name-brand thing for schools, especially for a masters degree. What program did you apply to?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Teevee:

I got the offer from NYU SCPS for MS integrated marketing study (2011 fall entry) one week ago.

I think we two have similar backgrounds: freshly graduated, no working experience. However, I plan to focus on marketing and branding, which is the reason I chose to apply this program even it is under SCPS.

According to my research on SCPS, I also have the same doubts as you do. I heard that SCPS even do advertisments in subways and it basically accepts anyone.

Have you already made your final decision? Would like to communicate more info about SCPS with you.

Good luck!

Kerra

Hi All, first post,

I am just about to finish undergrad with a degree in Communications. I decided to apply to graduate school, focusing on media management and global communication. So far, I received an interview from Northwestern's MSC program, and an acceptance from NYU SCPS Graphic Communciations Management and Technology. I am still waiting to hear back from several other programs.

My question concerns NYU SCPS. I am curious as to the program's reputation and whether it is appropriate for someone who has just graduated college. I know I should've done this research earlier, but at the time I was applying, my life was very hectic. So I applied to 8 programs that seemed they were what I want. I didn't really look at reputations though. I am anxiously awaiting a response from the joint Global Communications program from USC/LSE, as well as The New School.

Does anyone have any information regarding the quality of education from NYU SCPS? The more I read online, the more I get the feeling that SCPS isn't as respected as the rest of NYU...

I want to make a solid, informed decision about the masters program I join, especially before in debting myself to student loans. So any information right now, is valuable!

Hi Teeve,

I also and getting ready to finish my undergrad with a Communications Degree, and I will be mailing off my application to NYU-SCPS tomorrow for the Public Relations and Corporate Communications program. That Program has great accolades and I am both nervous and excited about this journey. Can you share with me how long it took you to get an acceptance and your cum GPA<

look forward to hearing from you,

Kittysmile.gif

Hi All, first post,

Hey Teevee:

I got the offer from NYU SCPS for MS integrated marketing study (2011 fall entry) one week ago.

I think we two have similar backgrounds: freshly graduated, no working experience. However, I plan to focus on marketing and branding, which is the reason I chose to apply this program even it is under SCPS.

According to my research on SCPS, I also have the same doubts as you do. I heard that SCPS even do advertisments in subways and it basically accepts anyone.

Have you already made your final decision? Would like to communicate more info about SCPS with you.

Good luck!

Kerra

Hey Teevee:

I think we two have similar backgrounds: freshly graduated, no working experience. However, I plan to focus on marketing and branding,

which is the reason I chose to apply this program even it is under

SCPS.

Good luck!

Kerra

Hey Kerra!

Thank ou for replying. I haven't made my decision yet... I am waiting on the joint USC/LSE program. I am in Chicago right now, interviewing for northwestern, which would also be amazing. I have heard though, that for a masters, you should be able to get full funding/paid tution through assistantships and fellowships. Does anyone know how that works?

Hey seditykitty,

I have a 3.4 overall GPA with a 3.6 comm GPA. It took me about six weeks to hear back, but I didn't get financial aid which might become a problem. I am also really nervous and excited!! Where else did you apply?

Teevee

Hi Teeve,

I also and getting ready to finish my undergrad with a Communications Degree, and I will be mailing off my application to NYU-SCPS tomorrow for the Public Relations and Corporate Communications program. That Program has great accolades and I am both nervous and excited about this journey. Can you share with me how long it took you to get an acceptance and your cum GPA<

look forward to hearing from you,

Kittysmile.gif

Hello everyone,

I am a recently admitted student to NYU SCPS MS in Integrated Marketing (Fall 2011). I'm having the same problem as you determining if the program is worth the money or not. I've read good things about SCPS but also bad things and as the deadline to accept the offer is next week, I would like to get some advice on the school/program's reputation. I am still waiting to hear from USC (MA in Communication Management), and if I get accepted that would really be a tough choice to make. The thing is I'm French, and here in France, NYU is much more recognized (like all unis in the East coast) compared to USC. However, during the past years, USC has increased a lot in the rankings whereas NYU has decreased a little. In terms of school, USC Annenberg is a very reputed school whereas SCPS is....unknown. But then again, I'll be certainly working in France after graduation (or in Europe), so what do you think would be the best choice for me ?

Also SCPS seems to be more suited to working professionals as most of the students are working full time while pursuing their degree. As a French student who graduated a year ago and without much work experience, it would be hard for me to find an internship (depending on the type of visa I get)... Indeed, the courses are given during the evening so that students can work during the day...Plus they seem really disorganized and unresponsive compared to USC, I sent them 3 emails they never responded and when I finally reached them by phone, they were absolutely detestable !

However, in terms of universities' value, I get the feeling that NYU and USC are equivalent ...is that true ?

Given my profile, could someone help me making a decision ? I'm really lost !

Thank you very much !

Hey Congrats,

Could you please tell me how long did they take to respond? I have also applied to NYU SCPS for the same program as yours. I think at the end of everything what matters is the brand name of the school and NYU is a very good brand name.

Hello everyone,

I am a recently admitted student to NYU SCPS MS in Integrated Marketing (Fall 2011). I'm having the same problem as you determining if the program is worth the money or not. I've read good things about SCPS but also bad things and as the deadline to accept the offer is next week, I would like to get some advice on the school/program's reputation. I am still waiting to hear from USC (MA in Communication Management), and if I get accepted that would really be a tough choice to make. The thing is I'm French, and here in France, NYU is much more recognized (like all unis in the East coast) compared to USC. However, during the past years, USC has increased a lot in the rankings whereas NYU has decreased a little. In terms of school, USC Annenberg is a very reputed school whereas SCPS is....unknown. But then again, I'll be certainly working in France after graduation (or in Europe), so what do you think would be the best choice for me ?

Also SCPS seems to be more suited to working professionals as most of the students are working full time while pursuing their degree. As a French student who graduated a year ago and without much work experience, it would be hard for me to find an internship (depending on the type of visa I get)... Indeed, the courses are given during the evening so that students can work during the day...Plus they seem really disorganized and unresponsive compared to USC, I sent them 3 emails they never responded and when I finally reached them by phone, they were absolutely detestable !

However, in terms of universities' value, I get the feeling that NYU and USC are equivalent ...is that true ?

Given my profile, could someone help me making a decision ? I'm really lost !

Thank you very much !

Hey Kerra!

Thank ou for replying. I haven't made my decision yet... I am waiting on the joint USC/LSE program. I am in Chicago right now, interviewing for northwestern, which would also be amazing. I have heard though, that for a masters, you should be able to get full funding/paid tution through assistantships and fellowships. Does anyone know how that works?

How ws the interview with Northwestern? I recently applied to the program and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Hey there!

The interview went really well... they want you to be very knowledgeable on specifically HOW the Norhtwestern program will fit with your plans. They also want to know whether or not you have the theoretical knowledge of your field because the NW program isn't theoretically based. Dress is business casual, but I was wearing a pretty formal suit because I didn't want to mess up :P

Overall they were very pleasant and easy to speak to. After an hour or so I got accepted on the spot :D

Now its decision time... i only have til Friday!!!!

Good luck!! If you have any more questions about the interview feel free to post...

How ws the interview with Northwestern? I recently applied to the program and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Hey Congrats,

Could you please tell me how long did they take to respond? I have also applied to NYU SCPS for the same program as yours. I think at the end of everything what matters is the brand name of the school and NYU is a very good brand name.

Hey !

Thanks for your response. I sent my application before Feb 1st (priority deadline) and got my decision on the 15th of March. When did you send your application ? On their website, they say that applications received after Feb 1st are reviewed on a rolling basis until June. Let me know when you get your decision ! Btw, I accepted the offer to secure my place, in case I don't get into USC.

hey everybody and to all the future SCPS students...

I am an European student and would like to apply to either the MS in Intergrated Marketing course or for the MS in Public Relations, starting Spring 2012.

Now I am bit worried about the GMAT as its not as common here in Europe and I wanted to ask you, if you are okay to share with us, how high ur scores were that made you get into NYU.

I would be very thankful if you could get back to me in this forum and love to hear from your advice!

Kolja

Hello everyone,

I also applied to NYU SCPS (Construction Management) after Feb 1st and my application status as Completed was updated on March 11th... It's been almost 6 weeks since then and I still haven't heard anything from them, which is driving me crazy.. When do you think I will hear from them?

Hey Teeve it's kitty again,

Sorry it took so long to reply but do you have a face book so that you can chat more frequently?

I'm concerned about financial aid as well because they have me down as a dependent I guess because of the graduate level. My ETC was 0000, I'm not sure if that was a good thing or bad thing. I'm also a NYS resident and I'm disappointed that TAP and PELL aren't made available to me because of the graduate level, even though I qualified for both, so well see...

and I'm awaiting my acceptance letter, praying for great news. :)

Don't listen to speculation about the school, go with your gut and if the department of your career choice is offered I say go for it! I did research on the PR and Corp Comm program and heard nothing but great things.

Whats your financial aid situation?

email me @ Kittrellaw@gmail.com

-Kitty

Hello Kolja,

I too was worried about the GRE,

but once I called and found out that it was no longer required I was sooo excited because I wasn't prepared to take the test.

I applied for the Public Relations and Corporate Communications MS.

feel free to email me @ Kittrellaw@gmail.com

hey everybody and to all the future SCPS students...

I am an European student and would like to apply to either the MS in Intergrated Marketing course or for the MS in Public Relations, starting Spring 2012.

Now I am bit worried about the GMAT as its not as common here in Europe and I wanted to ask you, if you are okay to share with us, how high ur scores were that made you get into NYU.

I would be very thankful if you could get back to me in this forum and love to hear from your advice!

Kolja

Hey,

Could you please tell what were your credentials. Here are mine GRE 1310, work ex 2.7 yrs GPA a bit low 75% from a canadian university, could you tell what are my chances. I am so worried :(.

Thanks again

Pragya

Hey Congrats,

Hey !

Thanks for your response. I sent my application before Feb 1st (priority deadline) and got my decision on the 15th of March. When did you send your application ? On their website, they say that applications received after Feb 1st are reviewed on a rolling basis until June. Let me know when you get your decision ! Btw, I accepted the offer to secure my place, in case I don't get into USC.

Hey,

Could you please tell what were your credentials. Here are mine GRE 1310, work ex 2.7 yrs GPA a bit low 75% from a canadian university, could you tell what are my chances. I am so worried :(.

Hey Pragya,

Don't worry, your credentials look great, especially your GRE score which is really good ! It's always a plus. For my part, I'm French from an american university, BA Honors in Global Communications and Social Sciences, GPA 3.3 cumulative / 3.7 in communications, 2 years av. professional experience in retail industry / events management / trading sector. I took both the GMAT and GRE but my GRE score was not really good (just above 1000). I'm sure you will do just fine ! I got accepted into USC but finally decided to go to NYU ! We might see each other then :)

Good luck !

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and am currently in a pickle in regards to what undergrad communications program I should choose. My 3 choices that i've narrowed it down to are: UC Santa Barbara, San Diego State, and Cal State Fullerton. Santa Barbara is the most prestigious school name, however their communication program is all theory and research while Cal State Fullerton has an accredited Communications program, and might have more of a network to LA for internships and jobs in advertising which is my main interest as of now. However, I am a pretty indecisive person so I wonder if I should just have the college experience at UCSB and receive a broad liberal arts education, or go to Fullerton and obtain practical hands-on skills and a network. Either way, I plan on going to grad school ideally the likes of NYU, USC Annenberg, or Columbia.

What matters the most in gaining admission to a prestigious comm/journalism/advertising grad program; the accredited program from a lesser school, or the non-accredited program from a UC?

Any words of wisdom or advice would be so very appreciated as I have to make this huge decision soon! Thank you for the support!

Hi TeeVee,

I have an interview with the NU MSC program as well, and was hoping you could share other examples of what kinds of questions to expect. I want to make sure I come prepared. Thanks!

Hey there!

The interview went really well... they want you to be very knowledgeable on specifically HOW the Norhtwestern program will fit with your plans. They also want to know whether or not you have the theoretical knowledge of your field because the NW program isn't theoretically based. Dress is business casual, but I was wearing a pretty formal suit because I didn't want to mess up :P

Overall they were very pleasant and easy to speak to. After an hour or so I got accepted on the spot :D

Now its decision time... i only have til Friday!!!!

Good luck!! If you have any more questions about the interview feel free to post...

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I am from India & have been accepted for MS in PR & Corporate Communication at NYU SCPS for 2011 fall sem. Since I dont really know anyone out there (quite obviously) I was hoping to find a few batch-mates here.

• 3 weeks later...

everyone planning or accepted into the NYU-SCPS for fall 2011

should introduce themselves. I'm kitty from Buffalo, NY. I will be attending the Public Relations & Corporate Communications program.