American SIS decision

I didn't know it mattered when you submitted your application. Are you sure of this?

For what it's worth, I submitted mine on the day before they were due. When I emailed them, they said that I was in the last batch. So when decisions are sent *may* have something to do with when it was turned in. Just my conjecture.

For what it's worth, I submitted mine on the day before they were due. When I emailed them, they said that I was in the last batch. So when decisions are sent *may* have something to do with when it was turned in. Just my conjecture.

I submitted mine on the due date and heard back early this month.

Just got this from admissions:

All of the decisions will have been sent by the end of this week. You should receive your decision by next week. If you do not hear anything by end of next week, please feel free to contact us.

I know this probably illogical, but I just get a bad vibe from this. And I don't know if this means that some decisions have already been mailed and there's still a chance that some of us will receive letters this week or what. "by week next" to me implies that I could receive something within this week also. That response was of no help whatsoever.

Edited by Mal83

Just got this from admissions:

All of the decisions will have been sent by the end of this week. You should receive your decision by next week. If you do not hear anything by end of next week, please feel free to contact us.

I know this probably illogical, but I just get a bad vibe from this. And I don't know if this means that some decisions have already been mailed and there's still a chance that some of us will receive letters this week or what. "by week next" to me implies that I could receive something within this week also. That response was of no help whatsoever.

I haven't gotten anything from American either, I just take it that I didn't get in. I think you have a chance. I feel if I would have gotten in, I would know by now because all of my stuff was in at the beginning of Dec.

Posted some of this elsewhere but I got my "acceptance" letter in the mail on Monday. Basically accepted to the Intl Econ Rel. grad certificate program for Fall and the M.A. program for Spring provided I maintain a certain GPA.

Let that be a lesson for you little ones to hit the books in undergrad as my college GPA was pretty weak. I was likely saved by decent GRE, great work experience, strong recommendations and statement of purpose.

In the mean time, I'm wait listed for GW ESIA and have yet to hear from GMU. I'm a little annoyed I likely won't hear from GWU until weeks after the 4/21 deadline to respond to AU.

Edited by Jodjod

I applied to SIS on the due date, but my recommendation letters and even test scores were received a few weeks after the due date. I believe if the three batches work the way some of you have mentioned earlier, then, I am in the three batch, and that will result in many days from now but up to mid-March to get the decision I guess.

For those who have received the decision, did the online decision render first before the mail had arrived?

I applied to SIS on the due date, but my recommendation letters and even test scores were received a few weeks after the due date. I believe if the three batches work the way some of you have mentioned earlier, then, I am in the three batch, and that will result in many days from now but up to mid-March to get the decision I guess.

For those who have received the decision, did the online decision render first before the mail had arrived?

I don't even think we get decisions online. My VIP page still says that I'll hear back in late March or early April. I received my acceptance via mail.

There are definitely no online decisions. The bottom line is that we will all know by the end of next week. So a week and a half left of this. I believe you can call them for your status, I won't do that though, can't handle someone looking up my file and waiting for them to say those words. I'll do that only if I don't get anything by next Friday, because that's the end of it for me. I tend to lean toward preparing myself for the worst, but according to that response I got today, all decisions will have been made by the end of the week...so there's still 2 days left of decision making to go. So I wouldn't loose all hope or get too down about it. Plus I don't think they'd have an all reject batch. All of my components were in by the deadline (by a hair mind you), but about a week after the deadline I got an email from them saying that my app was incomplete despite a green check mark next to every thing listed on my VIP page. I called and asked if this would set my application even further back, like to the "we'll review it only if we have space left over" pile. I was told that it wouldn't because my app was indeed complete. But it still makes me a little nervous. I think I'm just going to try really hard to not expect anything for the next few days. For the best probably. I feel like something quick and courteous like "hey you're in the 3rd batch, don't bother expecting until the first week of April" would have been really appreciated. And maybe I wouldn't have lost a year of my life to stress and anxiety.

All of my components were in by the deadline (by a hair mind you), but about a week after the deadline I got an email from them saying that my app was incomplete despite a green check mark next to every thing listed on my VIP page. I called and asked if this would set my application even further back, like to the "we'll review it only if we have space left over" pile. I was told that it wouldn't because my app was indeed complete. But it still makes me a little nervous.

I also turned my application in the day before the deadline; for some of my other applications, one of my recommenders didn't submit the letter until 10 days after the deadline, and I was still accepted. I got an e-mail shortly after the deadline from American too, saying that my file was incomplete. I called them and asked, and they called me about a week later saying everything was fine. I originally assumed it was because my study abroad credits didn't have grades on my undergrad transcript, but I didn't want to have to pay to have my study abroad transcripts translated. I wouldn't worry too much about the file being "incomplete," I think they're pretty lenient about some of this stuff.

Perhaps this is the common thread all along?

I, too, received the obnoxious "your application is incomplete" notice from AU, despite the fact that I submitted everything in a timely manner. It was my GRE scores that threw a wrench in the process; there was a communication problem between AU and ETS, which led to my scores not being received promptly by the University. Since this is obviously out of my control, I was informed by AU that I will not be penalized for ETS' tardiness.

So yes, you are not alone, Mal83. And yes, I highly doubt that the last batch are all declines or will receive little to no funding offers. At the end of the day, we have to remind ourselves that we applied to a large institution that receives an enormous load of applications. There is no logic to the insanity of sifting through hundreds of apps, so it is best we throw pessimistic speculation out the window.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one still stressing about AU.

I think I will take some satisfaction out of knowing that tomorrow is the day every last decision they have is going out in the mail...or at least so they say. Then it's just a matter of how fast that packet/reject letter is delivered to your mailbox. I live in Arizona :/

I think I will take some satisfaction out of knowing that tomorrow is the day every last decision they have is going out in the mail...or at least so they say. Then it's just a matter of how fast that packet/reject letter is delivered to your mailbox. I live in Arizona :/

Since I live down the street from AU I'm hoping that speeds things up!

Since I live down the street from AU I'm hoping that speeds things up!

If you asked me if I'm jealous much, I would reply: why yes, yes I am.

Is it a little warped to have the urge to RSVP to the Grad Day event just to see what happens? I mean just fill out the form that's right here http://www.american.edu/sis/RSVP.cfm and submit. According to those who have gotten invitations the last day to RSVP was April 1st. But the form is still available. Living way too far away I wouldn't go, but I just wonder if it would give me some clue, like after submitting it would say "thanks, Mal, see you there" or "uhh, you're on the reject list, no way." If I'm not mistaken someone around this forum actually did this and it all worked out for them. Hmmm.

I got my letter in the mail today as well....waitlisted...

How long do you think they will take before they send their final decisions? I'm hoping within the next few weeks b/c I don't think I can take this waiting game any longer...ah..

I got my letter from American in the mail today. I got waitlisted. So I guess it's a decision between GT and Elliott.

It's strange that you've been accepted into Elliot and waitlisted at American...from what I've seen on these boards it's been the other way around. Did they give any indication as to when they'd make decisions off the wait list? But I'd take Elliot's acceptance letter and run all the way to DC with it.

Gosh, I sure hope this isn't just the waitlist/reject batch. Although I guess I should just prepare for it.

Hello Everyone... I wonder if any of you know whether it is possible to change MA's within SIS after being accepted. I applied to the MA in International Peace and Conflict Resolution, but I am now convinced that the best choice is the MA in International Affairs. Since it is within SIS, and given that all other universities (i.e. SAIS, Maxwell, GSPIA, SIPA) easily allow a change of majors within the same program, I imagine it is possible. I need to be sure though... perhaps this is different at SIS. I wrote an email to the admissions office at American and they haven't responded yet... hopefully one of you can answer this question....

Hello Everyone... I wonder if any of you know whether it is possible to change MA's within SIS after being accepted. I applied to the MA in International Peace and Conflict Resolution, but I am now convinced that the best choice is the MA in International Affairs. Since it is within SIS, and given that all other universities (i.e. SAIS, Maxwell, GSPIA, SIPA) easily allow a change of majors within the same program, I imagine it is possible. I need to be sure though... perhaps this is different at SIS. I wrote an email to the admissions office at American and they haven't responded yet... hopefully one of you can answer this question....

According to their FAQ, you cannot change after you've applied. But you can apply to change after staying in your program for one semester.

"As admission decisions are specific to each program, students cannot change their programs during the admission process. Once admitted to a program/field, a student must stay in that program for one semester, at which point he or she can request a field transfer. Field transfer applications are handled through the Graduate Advising Office."