Harvard GSAS Admission Decisions

Hey all,

There are some posts by people saying they received their admission decisions from Harvard GSAS via phone and e-mail. I just called their admission hotline and asked specifically if they send e-mail notifications or if I can get my result via phone. The answer was no - i.e. they send only hard copies of decisions; there's no finding out until the letter reaches you. So what's going on (other than I likely didn't get in because I haven't heard form them yet)? How were you guys able to get your results by other means than postal service?

Dulgheritza

Hey all,

There are some posts by people saying they received their admission decisions from Harvard GSAS via phone and e-mail. I just called their admission hotline and asked specifically if they send e-mail notifications or if I can get my result via phone. The answer was no - i.e. they send only hard copies of decisions; there's no finding out until the letter reaches you. So what's going on (other than I likely didn't get in because I haven't heard form them yet)? How were you guys able to get your results by other means than postal service?

Dulgheritza

Official policy within graduate school admissions may be that they do not share decisions over the phone, but many people (myself included) may have contacted their department directly and heard from the graduate administrator there. It depends on the department -- I'm sure there is probably some policy in effect that says they are technically not supposed to tell students of their status, that it should always come from the graduate school directly -- but if you catch someone at the right time on the right day, you can probably get an answer out of them.