I may have to decline!

Weepsie

So it seems even if UBC/SLAIS deem me good enough to attend their esteemed institution, I'll have to decline anyway. It was always going to be tough to save enough money to do it. I believe I'd have 15000 dollars going over for fees, rent etc and apparently that's not enough (even if my fee would only be 4200 and if I am incredibly thrifty). I think It could be done with great sacrifice and a life of a hermit being adopted but I'd like to experience everything Vancouver has to offer so from that point of view it's not enough. I had been hoping to be able to work off campus in a library or institute that I could relate to my course or get a co-op placement but I've been told today my student visa would only cover on campus work unless it's directly linked to the course. It's a bit of a bummer as Ireland is not a place I want to be in the near future (I'll come back) but this news as scuppered the plans. It looks like that unless I get funding or a friendly bank manager (nigh on impossible to get a loan over here at the moment) I'll be staying at home. Anyone else in a similar predicament,

I'm facing a similar problem.

There are not MLIS programs in my state, so I'm looking at out of state tuition no matter where I choose to go. As I'm graduating this May, I have no resources to help pay for my graduate study. I know that at least one school I applied to has allowed people to defer admission for a year, so I'm seriously considering taking a year off, living with my parents, getting and job, and saving all my earnings so that my loans won't have to be quite as big.

Very disappointing, but I'm trying to look at the bright side. A year off of school sounds very nice. I've been going nonstop since Kindergarten, so maybe a year break is well deserved.

Im already at home and working, My job is in quite a high profile institute/library in Ireland and there was a lot of competition for the contract (it's a one year thing). I'm somewhat obliged to do an MLIS from september. I'm considering the UK too. Id guess we are just a few of many in similar situations. Ive had 3 years off college, Had I gone about things a different way (doing a different dissertation for one as rocky mountain exploration in the 1830s got a little tough as I wasn;t in the States to get the sources i really needed), I'd probably be finishing up a PhD now.

I might just get the qualification here and make my way over to Vancouver or the States (My Masters is American History) and try my luck thereafter

I took two years off after graduate school, hoping to ride out the recession while saving up money.

I work in Taiwan, my job pays very well, but only in Taiwanese dollars...returning to America will not be pleasant.

McGill charges an insane amount for tuition, I cannot afford it, it's disappointing to turn them down.

I took two years off after graduate school, hoping to ride out the recession while saving up money.

I work in Taiwan, my job pays very well, but only in Taiwanese dollars...returning to America will not be pleasant.

McGill charges an insane amount for tuition, I cannot afford it, it's disappointing to turn them down.

Yeh I didnt even bother applying for mcgill as the tuition was so high. Took time off after the MA and quit my job (I loathed it) and started applying for jobs I would have enjoyed but didn't tie me down for more than 1 or 2 years. Didn't get those but fortunate to get the one I have now. If it means staying in Ireland ill be having to become an English teacher I feel to get out after.

Yeh I didnt even bother applying for mcgill as the tuition was so high. Took time off after the MA and quit my job (I loathed it) and started applying for jobs I would have enjoyed but didn't tie me down for more than 1 or 2 years. Didn't get those but fortunate to get the one I have now. If it means staying in Ireland ill be having to become an English teacher I feel to get out after.

I don't know this for certain, but I bet that international teaching jobs would look really good on an application. If anyone is stuck on what to do, apply to work overseas in China, Japan, Taiwan, or Singapore. The jobs pay well (in local currency) and you will be hugely respected. The work can be frustrating (if you're teaching English) and very difficult (if you're teaching Science) but it's definitely a great job.