HKS vs. Harris (MPP)

mmac06

Hi everyone,

I'm happy (and amazed) to report that I was recently accepted to the Kennedy School MPP program. I have not received financial aid from them yet (not until April 1). I'm also waiting to hear from U of Chicago's Harris School (should hear in the next week or two). I was wondering if anyone is able to compare the two programs with regard to (1) International development policy and (2) Environmental policy. Much of my previous experience is related to international development, which I obviously highlighted in my applications. However, my interests have shifted somewhat in recent years to in environmental policy, although I have less experience in this field. I am currently living and working in Chicago and can see myself returning to the area after graduation. I'm particularly interested in working in the non-profit/NGO sector, but am open to working in the public sector as well. Although it's certainly not a give that I'll be admitted to Harris, I'm already stressing about the "What if..." scenario.

Any insights or advice would be MUCH appreciated! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm happy (and amazed) to report that I was recently accepted to the Kennedy School MPP program. I have not received financial aid from them yet (not until April 1). I'm also waiting to hear from U of Chicago's Harris School (should hear in the next week or two). I was wondering if anyone is able to compare the two programs with regard to (1) International development policy and (2) Environmental policy. Much of my previous experience is related to international development, which I obviously highlighted in my applications. However, my interests have shifted somewhat in recent years to in environmental policy, although I have less experience in this field. I am currently living and working in Chicago and can see myself returning to the area after graduation. I'm particularly interested in working in the non-profit/NGO sector, but am open to working in the public sector as well. Although it's certainly not a give that I'll be admitted to Harris, I'm already stressing about the "What if..." scenario.

I'm in a similar-ish boat, except in at Maxwell ($$$), Heinz ($$) and Harris (None). It is difficult to pass up the UChicago name. Anyway, in your situation I might consider staying in Chicago. If that is where you would like to work, they will certainly have better placement in the city than Harvard. Plus, they have a mentorship program that will allow you to learn the local job market for your field and network while in school.

I'm in a similar-ish boat, except in at Maxwell ($$$), Heinz ($$) and Harris (None). It is difficult to pass up the UChicago name. Anyway, in your situation I might consider staying in Chicago. If that is where you would like to work, they will certainly have better placement in the city than Harvard. Plus, they have a mentorship program that will allow you to learn the local job market for your field and network while in school.

Thanks for the feedback namename! I figured this question would go unanswered. I received my acceptance letter from UChicago last night. Sadly, like you, they didn't give me any funding which makes it even harder to pass up Harvard. I admit that choosing between these two programs is a great "problem" to have, but it's quite stressful to be honest. If I happen to get aid from Harvard on April 1, can I use that as leverage to try and get some aid from UChicago? Do people do that??

Thanks for the feedback namename! I figured this question would go unanswered. I received my acceptance letter from UChicago last night. Sadly, like you, they didn't give me any funding which makes it even harder to pass up Harvard. I admit that choosing between these two programs is a great "problem" to have, but it's quite stressful to be honest. If I happen to get aid from Harvard on April 1, can I use that as leverage to try and get some aid from UChicago? Do people do that??

I also have similar interests in international environmental policy, so my 2 cents are that, if you're interested in international and environmental policy, especially if you got no aid from UChicago, I think HKS is a no-brainer, given its much stronger curriculum in those two areas (and especially so when you consider the possibility of cross-registering at Tufts/Fletcher).

I also have similar interests in international environmental policy, so my 2 cents are that, if you're interested in international and environmental policy, especially if you got no aid from UChicago, I think HKS is a no-brainer, given its much stronger curriculum in those two areas (and especially so when you consider the possibility of cross-registering at Tufts/Fletcher).

Yeah, Harvard is a strong brand and I'm not well-versed in the field of international environmental development. To me, it might depend on where you want to work after graduation. If you want to live and work in the Chicago area, then I would still say University of Chicago tops Harvard. If you want to get into the broader ID community (UN, World Bank, etc.), the Harvard name will get you the better opportunities off the bat.

Also, I think you should consider what type of work you would like to do. If you want to do policy analysis, then University of Chicago is probably the stronger of the two, heavy in quantitative analysis and research. If you want to administer the programmatic side of things, then Harvard is likely a better fit, as it incorporates management and leadership training.

There is a definite case to be made for University of Chicago, but if you are unsure of your path then greendiplomat might be right.

Yeah, Harvard is a strong brand and I'm not well-versed in the field of international environmental development. To me, it might depend on where you want to work after graduation. If you want to live and work in the Chicago area, then I would still say University of Chicago tops Harvard. If you want to get into the broader ID community (UN, World Bank, etc.), the Harvard name will get you the better opportunities off the bat.

Also, I think you should consider what type of work you would like to do. If you want to do policy analysis, then University of Chicago is probably the stronger of the two, heavy in quantitative analysis and research. If you want to administer the programmatic side of things, then Harvard is likely a better fit, as it incorporates management and leadership training.

There is a definite case to be made for University of Chicago, but if you are unsure of your path then greendiplomat might be right.

Nowhere in my post did I mention Harvard's name recognition. My point is that HKS, especially with the potential for cross-registration at Fletcher, is considerably stronger in IR and, to a slightly lesser extent, environmental policy, and, especially considering that the funding offers will be equal at the very least, it makes much more sense to go to HKS. In my opinion, it's much better to get a job in Chicago graduating from a school in another city, than it is to get a decent job in a particular sub-field graduating from a school that doesn't have a particularly strong focus in that sub-field.

Edited by greendiplomat

Nowhere in my post did I mention Harvard's name recognition. My point is that HKS, especially with the potential for cross-registration at Fletcher, is considerably stronger in IR and, to a slightly lesser extent, environmental policy, and, especially considering that the funding offers will be equal at the very least, it makes much more sense to go to HKS. In my opinion, it's much better to get a job in Chicago graduating from a school in another city, than it is to get a decent job in a particular sub-field graduating from a school that doesn't have a particularly strong focus in that sub-field.

I didn't say that you mentioned Harvard's name recognition...I was making that point myself.

OP: I would think about where you want to work and the types of jobs you are interested in. Curriculum is one thing, but the vast majority of learning is done on the job. Most of the papers and research work that you cover in a master's program will be outdated in a few years, such that you will need to be constantly learning throughout your life. More important to your long-term success will be the research, management and leadership skills on offer. Figure out what type of work you want to do, identify the skill set that will help you succeed, and then go to the place that can provide you that set. HKS and Chicago have different strengths and deficiencies...those have been covered on here and in other places before.

I like that you said:

...especially considering that the funding offers will be equal at the very least, it makes much more sense to go to HKS...

"equal funding offers" meaning $0.00 :rolleyes:

Thanks to both of you. I'm attending Harvard's open house on April 8th. Sadly, UC's open house is the same day. I need to make an appointment to check out UC's program on my own time.

I like that you said:

Thanks to both of you. I'm attending Harvard's open house on April 8th. Sadly, UC's open house is the same day. I need to make an appointment to check out UC's program on my own time.

I'll see you there, I'm going to the HKS Open House over the Ford Open House.

Hey,

I'm a current Harris student that is interested in International Development. I would agree that KSG has a strong program in place fro International stuff. However, there are still a lot of courses on international policy and development offered both at Harris and throughout the university. This quarter I'm taking State-building and Failure, Poverty and Economic Development, and a Seminar on Public Policy and Inequality, all of which are internationally focused. I also considered two international development courses offered by the International Relations department and a Human Rights Law class offered by the Law School. The b-school also offers some course around international development and emerging markets. We have a lot of international speakers come to campus (as does Harvard). Basically there is a lot here, but it's not as canned as it would be at Kennedy.

As for the environmental stuff, Harris which has long been know for social, urban, and education policy, has recently staked out Energy as its next policy expertise area. The school just created the Harris Energy Institute which is a collaboration with Argonne National Laboratory and the physical sciences dept. here at the University (the people that created the first nuclear reaction). They also just started a partnership with the Bulletin of Atomic Sciences which is a science and energy policy watch dog publication. Very closely tied to the energy theme is environmental policy. There are several great faculty members who specialize in environmental policy including Jim Salle and Don Coursey. I've had both and both area great. Basically there is a lot of buzz around here about environmental and energy policy. It seems like we have a lunch session or a speaker or a mini-course on these topics happening all of the time.

If you are looking to stay in Chicago, then U of C, definitely has a better brand. Harris has particularly strong networks in Chicago and DC.

Hope that helps.

- B

Hi everyone,

Edited by brian.sabina

Just keep in mind that although both schools provided "equal funding offers", they do have fairly different overall attendance costs... It really depends on a self evaluation of whether or not, in the long run, it will do you best for you to attend X or Y. In this case, either or have top programs... I would visit both and find out for yourself.

I like that you said: