Last minute GW Aid! Thoughts?!?!

erin85

sounds like a tough call to me. but if debt is more important to you than a gtown degree and network, then it's an easy decision. you're planning to work in dc anyhow, so your job prospects are virtually the same...since the consortium contributes plenty heavy hitters in the field.

it's a practical decision. I'm glad it's not mine though, because reality has forced me to choose practically more often than not. I've earned to go with my heart for once. Luckily I'll be working in the field simultaneiously to pay for it.

Question: how devoted are you to mastering your studies? Because you can quite effectively qualify for more scholarship money in the second semester or second year with some hard academic work, aggressive research, and networking.

Thanks everyone (including normajean, even though her reply was on a diff. board).

I spoke to GW for a bit yesterday and today, and also a few people working in the non-profit sector. GW's program director and career services did a great job selling me on the program. Both schools boast similar salary and employment stats, so there is no glaring difference like there was between Gtown and UMaryland at least. The people I spoke to that work in the nonprofit field stressed the logical side of things... at least in D.C. their organizations don't see a difference between Gtown and GW... And with a lower debt load I am free to be much more selective about where I work, and the salary I am willing to take (e.g. less likelihood of having to turn down an amazing but lower paying opportunity, which in the non-profit sector is pretty common). Even the GPPI alum I spoke to said it is a "no brainer" that GW was the best option, especially as once I have a job or two on my resume the school name will lose most of its importance.

*sigh* so yea, as long as the dean officially approves my scholarship, I'm off to GW...

I'm going to try to travel there though within the next month to take in the physical side of the buildings and such, but my friends from around there had nothing but good things to say about it.

While this has basically no impact on anything, since you have had contact with the department yourself to know how things are, I have the following to state:

Of the ~20 campuses and departments we visited and spoke with, and all the other e-mail and phone inquiries we performed, George Washington's public policy department was the only contact that was unforgivably rude. The advisor was rude to the point that I did not even end up applying there; I did not want to be in the same place as anyone who would speak to me like that during a visit.

It takes an awful lot for me to feel like someone is being rude (Boston University's graduate advisor was apparently rude to me, but I ignored it and eventually got her laughing and friendly), but there was no mistaking that the George Washington advisor had no interest in talking to me.