Decision NYU--or reapply next year?

anese

Hi guys--

I have a bit of a strange dilemna.

I visited NYC for two weeks, mostly with the aim of visiting NYU after I was accepted to the MA in American Studies Program.

Admittedly, when I first started applying to graduate schools, my aim was to be accepted into a program where I could earn a PhD in History (United States)--however, I also applied to several MA programs in History/American Studies as a plan B.

Now, at the time I was not very familiar with what an American Studies degree would mean--I only recently, after learning from my one and only acceptance letter, started seriously considering going to get one.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not--I read alot about the program, and I am very interested in the curriculum, but I am not sure whether or not earning this degree would help me to establish a stronger academic CV when I reapply for PhD work. I also visited NYU--but I do not know much about American Studies programs because I know that is a relatively new interdisciplinary field, and I am worried that many history departments in universities might not take it seriously.

NYU offers a great deal of history coursework with the degree, as well as sociology and public policy classes, and even has a foreign language requirement--which I am very excited about and think will offer me a strong basis to begin PhD work.

However, they also didn't offer me a dime, and right now I am working on getting money together through a fellowship and several scholarship funds. One thing for sure--I can look forward to getting this paid for, if not by the first year, than by the second, and to a bit of reimbursement for any loans I take out for the first year. (parental/familial contributions)

Still, I am debating earning this degree. Would it help me in the long run in going for a PhD in History and Policy? (My undergraduate major was a BS in History and Policy from Carnegie Mellon University, its an interdisciplinary degree, incase anyone was wondering) I was seriously considered by Michigan (I know this from speaking to the Director of the Board of Admissions) and it was only an office snafoo that resulted in a denied admission status. I was even told to reapply next year and what to include in my application.

HOWEVER- I know that such an assurance is not a 100% thing--who knows what their candidates would be like next year, and when I do my PhD work, I do not want to have to rely JUST on a finger-crossed acceptance at U-Mich. I would like more options, and my undergraduate record is strongest my second two years--my first two years hurt me. I would also like to get more recommendations and more writing under my belt--even some publications, which the program at NYU offers.

I'm 85% sure that I will say yes to NYU in the next week or so-- (I have two weeks left to make a decision)

I have heard nothing from Columbia and nothing from Fordham or GWU's MA programs...I was stalling to see what I get from them and because of my own indecisiveness.

I am also nervous because I know nothing about NYU's ranking in AS--or even if there are official rankings for this program? I checked out the current grad students, and they all seem very enthusiastic and accomplished--from Ivies with far more experience than I--I am 22 and most of their students are in their early 30s.

The people seem great, but aside from that the only other thing I have to go on are some words of encouragement from a respected Public Policy professor from my alma mater---that they have several "accomplished and distinguished" History professors on their faculty.

I guess what I'm looking for is a bit of perspective...I feel like I have made up my mind already, but I am still waffling between declining and reapplying or going for it now.

ETA- It seems NYU has made this decision for me, I received a letter detailing an award totaling 56k along with eligibility for some scholarship money.

Fordham University sent an acceptance letter but no money--so---I am very enthusiastic right now, but having quite a bit of trouble articulating it!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use