UW vs. NYU in applied math

Hi there, any and all advice are greatly appreciated.

So, I was admitted to the department of applied mathematics at UW and NYU. I did not get any promise of financial support from these schools but my circumstances might just allow for me to pay for the first year at least. There are, of course, a lot of variables to consider when choosing between the two universities, but what are the ones you think should weigh the heaviest and which one would you pick?

Most schools will not give you funding if you do not enter funding the first year. If you are going for a masters, then you might be able to swing it. If you are going for a doctorate, don't waste your money and make sure they are funding you. As for what school to pick, what are your interests?

I was admitted to the MS program at UW, but the PhD at NYU. As for my interests, I don't have anything special in mind for my graduate studies. I finished a masters degree in pure math in my home country but at a certain point I decided I was never going to make a difference in the world of algebraic topology so I sent out some applications to departments of applied math, in an attempt to study something (remotely) practical. So I don't really have a focused strategy for my PhD-studies, I'm pretty open to everything though.

Depends on the program. Again you have to be careful because different schools are stronger in different areas and the logic that "any school is a good school" is not correct. NYU I think has a joint department while UW has seperate math and applied math departments. It is something to consider

he asked about applied math uw applied math is almost as good and it's a masters. there's no real difference really they are both top notch. however nyu is like 60k, i doubt uw is even half that. not to mention he doesn't even know what he wants to do other than applied math.