Reconsidering Calgary (Is it really racist there?)

thesnout

Hello ppl's. So I thought I'd start a post about something on my mind. Possible racism in Calgary. I'm not sure if I'd want to move to a city that is described as the neo-nazi capital of Canada. lol. :P

I mean they have a supremacist rally/march in Calgary. I think it's today! :blink: I just hope no one gets injured this year on either side. Violence sucks. I have lived around these types before without any problems but why are they everywhere. hahaha. lol. I'm tolerant of all of people. (Oh wait maybe I'm not!) I dunno. I kind of wish I hadn't applied.

But on the other hand, this is the only school with the specific program I want and I'm not afraid of anyone ever. I pride myself in being able to talk to anyone and deal with every type of situation.

Can you tell I'm a little confused by this. Ughhhh...Decisions come out in about 2 weeks so I guess I have more time to think about this.

Any insight would be good. Yes, I'm am a visible minority but like I said I've lived around supremacist, went to school with them, worked in groups with them, had interesting conversations, etc. but I am sick of seeing them and their hatred for certain racial groups. I know they're not all violent and I encourage pride in one's race/culture but it's the extremist who bother me with their useless unnecessary hate.

Thanks people. Any input would be luvly. I hate second guessing myself.

:rolleyes:

I'm also a minority. I've been to Calgary quite a few times, and I've never experienced any kind of discrimination. The supremacist groups are more common than you think, but they are a very small group of the population, so I think it's unfair to give a city a bad name just because of a few rotten apples. Sadly, you are gonna find those people any where you go. I don't think you should be worried. Calgary is a great city, and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Good luck!

Edited by PrettyVacant

I mean they have a supremacist rally/march in Calgary. I think it's today!

There's a neo-nazi rally in Claremont, CA today too. I think it's just knuckledragger day or something. They (the neo-nazis) put them on around SoCal periodically, but they rarely last more than 20 mins once 10 or 15 boneheads show up to find they have to face several hundred counter-protesters telling them to go fcuk themselves. You'll find idiots in any city you go to (UCLA video?), with few exceptions -- so this should not play any role in your choosing a program that suits you. With that said, one of our local profs was the victim of a racist hate attack just a few days ago. The irony is that the attacker, who identified himself as one of Jim Gilchrist's Minutemen, didn't have the intellectual ability to realize that the "Señor" he was hassling was actually Caucasian.

Just remember that education is the antidote to such stupidity, so by simply continuing your studies, you're doing your own small part to combat idiots like these.

I'm from Calgary. It's a very conservative city and I would say that people there have a general 'small town' mentality. But you shouldn't think that there are neo-nazis running around! I've seen some explicit racism from bouncers but that's the only example that comes to mind. It mainly depends on where you're coming from. I would say that it's not any more racist than your average Canadian small town.

Yes, because any city with this guy as mayor is obviously a racist hellhole.

I might be speaking out of turn because I'm not from Calgary (Vancouver), but, according to wikipedia, its population is almost 25% visible minorities. And I don't think it can be called a small town in any way; it's the fourth-largest CMA in Canada after Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver. In a city that size it's bound to have its share of crazies, but it's also diverse enough to be whatever you want it to be.

EDIT: Flames suck, though :)

Edited by wtncffts

We are prejudiced against Canucks fans!! :P (I know, I know, we're just jealous right?)

I don't know about the city feeling like a 'small town', but the campus is certainly large and diverse. I don't think racism is a huge problem.

Edited by bags

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your comments. It's a little scary applying to a school in a city and province I've never been too. I guess I'm a little apprehensive because I'm recovering from a major illness. I agree that education is the only way to eradicate racism/discrimination/etc.

There is an underground society of these "people" in Kitchener, ON near my city. I guess they are everywhere. Oh well. If I get accepted (crosses fingers) I'll just live in residence so I feel safe. hehe.

I did read UofC's student stats and the campus is very diverse so that brings a smile to my face.

Thx again. :)

Edited by cherylsafina

Hello everyone!

I'm an international student and i was accepted at the U of C for grad studies.I'm also gay and,unfortunately,after having done my reserach,i realized that Calgary is indeed a quite conservative city.I don't mind though,because if the city claims to be multicultural and welcoming,it's high time it acted as such.If supremacists think otherwise,i suppose i'll have to fight hard against homophobia and oppression,as part of a huge minority that strives for visibility and equal standing.At least,it is very conforting that u of c cares about and protects (or so it seems) the lgbt community.

To cherylsafina:Don't worry about anything else except for your studies.I'm sure that,once in calgary,you'll build your support network and everything will be just fine-personally,i wouldn't sacrifice my studies for noone's sake.

Cheer up!

I was recently there for a conference and it didn’t seem any different than any other Canadian city in this regard. (I met many lovely, welcoming people and had a great time).

Yeah, Alberta is a Conservative stronghold- but (maybe I am naive) cities tend to be large and diverse enough to provide a safe environment for anyone. You’ll probably find a ton of economically conservative big-business capitalist types in Calgary...but that doesn’t always mean a place is socially conservative.

Having visited, I would feel comfortable moving there for school (and I am willing to bet that the university campus isn’t much different than others, politically). That said, I am not a minority and someone who is may have a different perspective on this.

Edited by Matilda_Tone

I guess you must know this, being in Ontario, but for everyone else reading this: "conservative" doesn't really seem to mean the same thing in Canada as it does in the States. I am positive that there are many large cities in NA that are much less culturally diverse and accepting than Calgary. Don't let that stat / news story be a deciding factor.

Thanks for more responses everyone. I've had chats with some people I know and some strangers from Calgary. They've reassured me that it's a decent city. Just avoid the types you don't want to be around and they'll avoid you.